VLF Treasure Detector

G

Gooddog

Hi, my name is gooddog (i am good and i like to dig holes) and I have been wanting to get started metel detecting for awhile now, but I could never afford one. I do not have much money but I was in the pawn shop today and saw a metel detector there for only $49.99 so I bought it on a whim. It has "VLF Treasure Detector" written on it and has two knobs. I tried it out in the pawn shop before I bought it and it beeped really good when I ran it over some coins I had set down on the ground. Does anyone know anything about this metel detector? Has anyone ever used one of these metel detectors and can anyone give me some tips on how best to use it? Will it work in sand? I am at work right now (bought it on my lunch break) and am really excited to get started metel detecting.

Upvote 0

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby Gooddog! I don't know anything about your detector, so I can't give you any pointers on how to use it. But get out there in your yard or at a local school or park and start finding stuff! Welcome aboard, and Happy Hunting!!

OP
OP
G

Gooddog

Thanks for replying to my thread Treasurekidd, I hunted all of friday evening and most of saturday and so far I have found 2 dimes (modern) and 7 pennies (all modern except a 1949 canadian penny) one key and about a dozen pull tabs and about a half a dozen bottle caps. I am getting used to the sounds my detector gives off. I noticed for pennies and dimes it gives off a really nice loud beep, but when I practiced on a nickle it sounds more like a duck, lol.

This is lots of fun and this is a great forum. I have learned a lot of things about this hobby already by reading all the threads in here. How lucky I am to have found this site, because there is a lot of people posting on it.

Murray_B

May 12, 2005
Gooddog, VLF means Very Low Frequency and refers to the rate that they pulse the transmit coil. VLF type metal detectors are the most common ones but are not a brand or model.

From your description, however, it sounds like the detector is a low cost, completely manual detector. These are often called entry-level even though they require considerable expertese by the operator to get good results.

If you are near a metal detecting club it might worth your while to ask some old timers about using your detector. They can give some hands-on instruction that just can't be replicated by a forum or book.

Good luck!

OP
OP
G

Gooddog

Thanks for that tip badger, that sounds like a great idea. I will bury a quater in my yard as soon as I get off work today. I know I have found a number of items buried, a 1949 penny at about 2-3". A room key at least 3-4", but as you pointed out there are two knobs with countless possible settings and it would be nice to know exactly where to set them.

Thanks again. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread