Is anyone hear actually hunting for a living?

scrapdoggie

Nov 23, 2007
Deland Florida
Detector(s) used
Ace250 Pro-Kellyco
Im just curious.Does anyone here do this full time.I cant wait for spring and my 1st full week of hunting....I suppose if you catch a few good hits you can roll it over into your next hunt....I read about a group/MDers who move around the world during the seasons .They all had there favorite locations and times of the year to be there.Its not fair to call them just MDers cuz these guys talked meteorites and old bottles and a host of other interests.They were true Treasure hunters chasing the Adventure of saving history!... and making some loot along the way...

Upvote 0

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I'd never wish to do it for a living. That would make it a job....being a job would take the pleasure away......besides I like having a home base when it's raining. :wink: We have added gold prospecting to our list of hobbies. Being retired rocks! :headbang:

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
I would love to, however, the wife has different plans! She likes to eat, stay fat and sassy...lol

Desertfox

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I could make a living at it......

Well that is if I don't mind walking to the beach, living in a Walmart cardboard box and eating generic dogfood. ;D

On the good days I could splurge and make it Alpo...............

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with Pepper2004, when you do something "for a living", it takes a whole lot of the fun out of it. I mean think about it, when your out there detecting and digging and it's almost dark and your tired how would you feel if you hadn't found anything at all valuable? You would feel as though you failed and you may not be able to afford a good meal that night because of it. For me it would just put too much pressure on it and make it like any other "JOB". However as someone said above, having a steady full-time job that puts food on the table and clothes on my back and then having the time to detect Regularly to supplement my income sounds like the perfect combination for me. Just my opinion. I am a Firefighter and work 24 hour shifts, about 10-11 days per month. I love my job but I was a volunteer for a few years before I started "doing this for a living" and I have to say it took alot of the fun out of it. Don't get me wrong we still have alot of fun doing the job, it's great, but just not quite the same as when I just kinda did it on my own schedule. I wouldn't change it for anything but I am just trying to relate to you how I think it would take the fun out of "Treasure Hunting" for me to HAVE to do it. Now I use my down time at the Fire Dept. to research possible hunting sites and read your guys awesome post's and still have plenty of off time to detect. HH, Steve!
:wink:

FLOYD MANN

Apr 16, 2003
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
Hey ALL !

Not to brag---but just to give you all some "glimmer of hope"---it IS possible to make a decent living doing FULL-TIME treasure huning ! I am 54---retired at 44 to do THIS full time. BUT: I am a cache hunter---NOT just looking for coins & rings in the park & on the beach. Think BIG---or stay with your day job. Luckily my wife still likes to work & lets me play with my detectors. I just turned over my tax info to H&R BLOCK for 2007. Tara ( wife ) made $90,000 ( as a travel nurse ) last year & I "made" $71,000 ( as a treasure hunter ). The stuff is out there ! Go get SOME !

Side note: our house, 4 cars, pickup, & FIVE motorhomes were all paid for in CASH. THIS year will definitely be BETTER than last year ! ( It already IS ! ). Any questions ? Feel free to email or call :

FLOYD MANN
3751 Market Street
West Valley City, UTAH 84119

[email protected]
(801)-969-3243

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Starting out with Radio Shack
Floyd....I am at bent knee......go for your dreams. Nothing worse than being an old man and saying..."I wish I would have". Respect and Good Luck!

Deerdog40

Greenie
Mar 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Keep this topic going .................................... come on people sent your responces. I'd like to know myself, how many people do this for a living? Or if not for a living how much do you earn on a yearly count? Money just a guess !!!!!

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
my opinion, u cannot make a living treasure hunting.at least not on a regular basis.when looked at hard the total dollars are just not there.i have always looked at it as great hobby.in fact, one of the only hobbies that gives ANYTHING back.unless u r a pro athlete.and hunters and fishermen do get edible meat.ok.ok maybe a few.i wont argue about the cachehunter who posted.or the traveling beachunter. but.i will tell u .u can also make a living playing golf.if u have the dedication.it would also make a great difference on what u define as treasure hunting.antique dealers make aliving.are they really treasure hunters in the true sense.? ur best bets if u gotta try.? gold mining. like detecting? the real loot is in the water. get to the beach. both of these are location specific.u either need to live in a coastal area or gold producing.i however am marooned in the midwest.so i dont have a chance.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
scrounger said:
my opinion, u cannot make a living treasure hunting.at least not on a regular basis.when looked at hard the total dollars are just not there.i have always looked at it as great hobby.in fact, one of the only hobbies that gives ANYTHING back.unless u r a pro athlete.and hunters and fishermen do get edible meat.ok.ok maybe a few.i wont argue about the cachehunter who posted.or the traveling beachunter. but.i will tell u .u can also make a living playing golf.if u have the dedication.it would also make a great difference on what u define as treasure hunting.antique dealers make aliving.are they really treasure hunters in the true sense.? ur best bets if u gotta try.? gold mining. like detecting? the real loot is in the water. get to the beach. both of these are location specific.u either need to live in a coastal area or gold producing.i however am marooned in the midwest.so i dont have a chance.
:( :( >:( >:( :'(...Well i am like you stuck in the Midwest and i don't have a chance of hunting for a liveing.................You are right you have to be on the coast..or in a place were there is gold to be found.........==jim==

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
Gadabout - Jim said:
scrounger said:
:( :( >:( >:( :'(...Well i am like you stuck in the Midwest and i don't have a chance of hunting for a liveing.................You are right you have to be on the coast..or in a place were there is gold to be found.........==jim==
yea jim,the day my father passes or goes to a home.im outta here to somewhere with a beach

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep just 200 more trips I'll be able to afford a Gallon of Gas

:D

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
I'm no Floyd Mann, nor a Crackbadger. But I kinda fit the criteria. I retired twice, the last time this last winter after suffering a heart attack at 48. So now all I do is hunt. The thing is I don't actually make a living at it, I already had a sizable income and no need for a job. I still own allot of real estate and plan on selling that off after selling off our tree stock, which in this economy might take awhile. Lately my wife and I have been toying with the Idea of retiring to either a ocean worthy boat or a house boat to ply the rivers and lakes of America. All the while I plan to continue my Treasure hunting expeditions. I can't state an exact figure as to how much I make in a year, for many reasons the least of which is I really haven't kept track nor have I tried to figure the value of all my finds which include many types of treasure. I have antiques, coins, jewelery, artwork you name it and if I can get ahold of it for a profit I will. But if I had my life to do over, I'd definately get me an old van and travel the country doing this for a living. It might take awhile to become a Floyd Mann but I'm sure just about anyone with the drive could.

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I seriously doubt that anyone who has mad a splash in the treasure hunting world will post any serious totals here for obvious reasons.
It all boils down to a simple safety measure.
If you do find a big one you will not have it long if you talk about it,
The Government has a way of taking anything they deem as questionable.
They will do just that when they find out you found it.

Thom

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Old Dog said:
I seriously doubt that anyone who has mad a splash in the treasure hunting world will post any serious totals here for obvious reasons.
It all boils down to a simple safety measure.
If you do find a big one you will not have it long if you talk about it,
The Government has a way of taking anything they deem as questionable.
They will do just that when they find out you found it.

Thom
That is right my motto has always been when i make or if i make a big find it will only be known to myself and maybe my wife...........No one needs to know......... my Ego is not that great that i have to tell any one.........Your ego can get you in trouble..................................==Jim==

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
Define "making a living" and for that mater "treasure". If I find it free or cheap and make a profit it's treasure. I no longer have a real job. I take care of My Dad instide of paying $5000 a month for someone else to do it. Sitting at home warehousing him till he dies ain't fair to either of us so we are adventurers. I keep my eyes open to make a buck in unconventional ways. Raw gold is the most profitable but hard to find on a steady basis. I can haul it to an area where my Dad (89) can sluice it. When at the homefront there are numerous opportunity's at treasure. Here in the greater LA megalopolis people will pay to have you haul their unwanted stuff away. With a little cleaning and a locale flea market /swap meet you can double profit from someones junk. Self storage joints are great to , you buy the contents flat rate after someone stops making the payments. A guy lost the lease on a factory here and gave me the contents thinking it was a worthless liability 678000 lbs of steel at $90 a ton isn't worthless. That's a lot of hard work but a lot of reward too. Gems and gold are nice but lost jewelry is more consistant in a city of millions. I have already made my living as long as I'm frugal, my treasure is icing on the cake. Been retired for 2 years and don't miss the grind nor the steady check. Luckily have a good Wife that lets me be me and understands life is temporary. If today ain't good there's always tomorrow to change it for the better.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
You are great inspiration, Urban!

Keep your eyes open, and ear to the ground...
Be out in public, keep many people as you can happy...
Things will come your way if you are attentive to people's needs.

One has a problem with rocks in their yard, another wants landscape boulders????

Best,
rmptr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread