Mini-Metal Detectors - Questions

S

stefen

Found these today in the Woodcraft catalog and wonder if anyone has used either of these as a secondary detector? My guess is that they will work regardless of the original intent.

Little Wizard Metal Detector. Find nails, screws, staples or other metal with this detector instead of with your planer, bandsaw or joiner blades! Inexpensive and easy to use, this hand held unit quickly scans recycled wood to save time consuming and expensive blade changes. Alerts metal presence with both LED lights and audible tone. Requires one 9 volt battery, not included.

About $18

Lumber Wizard Metal Detector. The only metal detector designed especially for woodworking and woodshop applications. Features both an audible tone and a switchable vibration alert for noisy environments. Finds steel, stainless steel, zinc, magnesium and aluminum. Locates nails, screws, staples, tacks, bullets, wire and other small metal objects that can damage or destroy planer, jointer or saw blades. Locates large metal pieces up to 4" deep, a large screw at 3", a medium nail at 2", a paneling nail or staple at 1", through wood. Simply lay the wand on your wood, adjust the sensitivity and pass the wand over the wood in sweeping motions. Requires a 9V battery, not included.

On sale for $89

Attachments

• LITTLE WIZARD.jpg
    LITTLE WIZARD.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 400
  • METAL FINDER.jpg
    METAL FINDER.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 280
Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
merlin3.jpg

I've got a Merlin SXL Pro that is a dandy little pinpointer. I seem to remember someone on another forum really bashing that $20 Lowes type Wizard as being hopeless outdoors (as in - OK stud finder, poor pinpointer).

The Lumberwizard probably is a good unit - but look at the size of it! That's a short detector, not a probe or a pinpointer.

http://lumberwizard.com/

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STEFEN: I have the same pinpointer as in your picture. Lttle Wizard.I have it as a bvackup for my Bullseye. I think it works great. The adjustment works easy....Get Dirty,,,,Dirty Don

OP
OP
S

stefen

Hey, for 18 bucks, its worth a try...

Although most of my spanish gold coin finds are by eye ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread