getting up the nerve to ask!

-MURPH-

Apr 25, 2005
DUI=digging under the influence
Detector(s) used
whites-DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going past this old church dated back to the late 1700's for a few weeks now.Im try to get up the nerve to ask ask if i can detect on the property. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Do I just go on detecting or should I definitely ask fisrt? Feel free to jot down your experiences with asking permission. How many times yes and no and what you did about it. ;D HH weebee33

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I find churches to be very accommodating. Just find out who is in charge and be open and honest with them, offer to show them all your finds. Explain that you always fill in holes and will be respectful of the grounds. (Sometimes it also helps to make a small contribution to the offering plate! ;)) HH omnicognic 8)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
definitely ask permission first. you wouldn't want some stranger digging holes in your yard unannounced and neither do they. just be friendly and explain what you want to do. chances are if you go in with a good attitude and a smile you will get the permission you want. good luck and let us know how you do!

M

melcrose

As a pastor, I can say that the main concern is that you "do no harm" to the church grounds. As long as you explain in great detail how careful you'll be, I can't imagine there would be a problem. (of course, in summer, be sure to take a few gallons of water with you and apply liberally after diggin' the plug, much less chance of a grass die-off.)

Let us know what you find! Have to be some goodies there!

childoftechnology

May 7, 2005
I can't help but think of the front lawn, at the place where we lived years ago. My Dad had spent a good deal of time detecting around the house, in the middle of a very hot & dry summer. By summers end, the lawn was full of little round yellow patches - looked like the grass had some kind of disease!

M

melcrose

yep, I've seen yellow-spot disease before. :)

My experience is that even if you cut a careful "flap" it'll still die in the summer without a TON of water right after you dig.
YMMV. :)

S

skydiv

I asked a home builder if I could md on his empty lots. He looked at me and said "are you alright?" I said I wouldn't do any harm because the lots would be bulldosed anyway. He said "NO". I guess I'll try someone else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread