Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently purchased a Super 12 coil for my MXT, and I am anxious to get out and try it. I have heard/read that it is a superb coil for finding the deep stuff. I have also heard that the larger, deeper coils often "ignore" or won't see the shallow targets.

Is this true? Can I rely on the Super 12 to find coins at 8 inches and those at 2-3 inches?

Any information would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Upvote 0

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
Kiros, you can read 30 different opinions on this subject but have no reason to trust one over the other until you set up a "Test Garden" in your own yard and try it out yourself. It should give you the answers you are looking for. First find a clean spot in your yard that is free of targets and plant some coins at different depths making sure that each one is laying flat to keep the test consistent. Also make sure you have at least a foot or so between each planted coin to avoid disturbance. Personally, I have a super 12" and have had no problem with getting signals from shallow targets. They will just respond a little differently than with a smaller coil. 8)

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I Tested it for small gold when I got it. It picked up a small gold earring an inch down in the dirt, I didn't put it any deeper. I just wanted to make sure it could hit it and it did. It has no problems with shallow coins. I haven't given it a real good work out yet because I've only used it for cleaner open areas.

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
Finally I installed the Super 12 coil on my MXT. Considering some of the lackluster reports I wasn't expecting much over the 9.5" coil... was I ever wrong. Here is SW VA we have a lot of decomposed iron in the ground that has the MXT reading Iron about all the time. With the 12" it penetrates the iron and finds the silver that has been hiding from me. The last hunt was in a yard of a house that was built in the 1950s and in two hours I came away with two silver quarters and five silver dimes as well as a bunch of wheat pennies. The depth seems to be about 4 inches deeper on those targets compared to the 9.4" coil. Rather than being that much deeper I believe the Super 12 simply has the ability to see thru the ground better as well as having a larger footprint which maybe looks around the rust. The depth gain in non-mineralized soil may not be as good but I can't attest to that. For me the Super 12 and the SunRay probe are the best things that have been made for the MXT. Pinpointing is as easy as with the smaller coil and depth readout is right on the mark. It will be my standard coil from now on. As to the weight I don't notice any difference between the two coils. The silver coins I found on this hunt were 6-8 inches deep and the MXT rang out like they were laying on the surface. No problem with shallow targets either.

You can see my finds at: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,153949.0.html

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
cant say anything about the Super 12 coil but.........

I do have a S12 on my sov.which I hunt with at all times.No problems with surface or shallow coins whatsoever.Matter of fact I may have used my BBS 8 inch coil about 5 times in the last 5 years! :thumbsup:

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a super 12 and it works well on shallow coins.. Where it really shines is quarter and larger coins.. Expect 1-3" more on halves and dollars..Pinpointing is easy even at depth..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread