This digger is AWESOME!!!

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S MXT (and man is she hot!)
I bought this digger about two months ago, but it has been so darn cold I have only used it to dig about 9 holes...until today! It was sunny and nice out (as you can see)
pic from truck.jpg

so I went to an 1880's homestead. The ground was still partially frozen, but that didn't matter with this puppy!!!
pic from truck.jpg

I did things with it that I KNOW would break others (I have been through about 8 of them so far...all different models, none like this one)! It's the "True Temper Planter Buddy" 7 in 1. They sell at wally world for 14 somethin'...I got mine at Lowes for 17 somethin' (always). The 7 in 1 represents "Trowel/transplanter blade for planting, Serrated edge for cutting open bags of mulch or soil, Sharpened straight edge for cutting sod
Twine cutter, Weeder tip,Poly tamper for tamping down stakes, markers, and fertilizer spikes, and 12 inch measurement marks."
For me it means, ripping through roots, shoving it through rocky areas, prying the cold frozen Missouri soil, tearing a plug in like three seconds, flat end for better application of force, cutting grass off the top of the plug to find shallow targets, and fighting crime! lol!
I also never leave home without my all plastic POS shovel, good for breaking when you need them most! about 89 cents at Target (pronounced tarjay).
true temper.jpg

Just thought I would share that with you guys, I love it and I think it's another good tool for the arsenal.

~Tom

Attachments

• plastic POS.jpg
    plastic POS.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,316
Upvote 0

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I went looking for this true temper 7 in 1 digging tool yesterday. I started out at walmart and they didnt have them, then sears and about three local hardware stores they didnt have them either. Finally went accross town to home depot and sure enough they had six of them at $12.99 each. I bought three two for me and one for my son and my brother purchased two. When I got home I opened one up and was surpised to see how sharp the cutting edges are. They should work great around the old cellar holes here in Vt. where the soil is tightly bound with small roots. Thanks for the post this looks like it will work a lot better than the dollar store diggers Ive been useing and Im way to cheap to pay $70.00 for those top end diggers.

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
undertaker said:
I went looking for this true temper 7 in 1 digging tool yesterday. I started out at wall mart and they didnt have them, then sears and about three local hardware stores they didnt have them either. Finally went accross town to home depot and sure enough they had six of them at $12.99 each. I bought three two for me and one for my son and my brother purchased two. When I got home I opened one up and was surpised to see how sharp the cutting edges are. They should work great around the old cellar holes here in Vt. where the soil is tightly bound with small roots. Thanks for the post this looks like it will work a lot better than the dollar store diggers Ive been useing and Im way to cheap to pay $70.00 for those top end diggers.

I am glad that my post helped!!! I know I spent like, 2 hours everytime I went to Wally world, the dollar store, or even Big Lots, trying to find the right one. I knew as soo as I saw this one that it was it. I chewed through an inch thick root with it in two swipes the other day...man I love this digger.

~Tom

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I got my 7 in 1 sharpened on the ends. It's amazing how digging with it now is so easy! Your right about chewing through thick roots!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scsomike said:
do we have a tools section here that i have overlooked?

I don't "believe" we do... but that would make a good addition to my suggested Electronic Pinpointer category.
Jeff (one of the primary Mod's) is dealing with flooding in his home right now though, from what I've heard.
So maybe when he comes back he can address these various topics, and hopefully add a couple of them as well.

Bran <><

OP
OP
ashleysflyr

ashleysflyr

Jan 2, 2008
Missouri
Detector(s) used
godisnum1 said:
scsomike said:
do we have a tools section here that i have overlooked?

I don't "believe" we do... but that would make a good addition to my suggested Electronic Pinpointer category.
Jeff (one of the primary Mod's) is dealing with flooding in his home right now though, from what I've heard.
So maybe when he comes back he can address these various topics, and hopefully add a couple of them as well.

Bran <><

Hey, I wanted to let you know that I brought that up to jeff on your behalf...I thought it was a great idea!
Mike, I have like three of those too. They are awesome, except I always seem to break the screw fastener on mine...so I go with the Army one now, but it doesn't have that high speed axe head! Those are great.

~Tom

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ashleysflyr said:
Hey, I wanted to let you know that I brought that up to jeff on your behalf...I thought it was a great idea!

~Tom

Thanks, I appreciate it bro...

Bran <><

tabfinder

Jul 9, 2006
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Nocta Simplex
golddigger14s said:
Kellyco sells a digger called the "Gator" for $35.00, but I got one for $14.00 on ebay through kellyco's ebay site "ardvarkdetectors". The listing said it was used, but the one I received was brand new. Awesome deal considering the bad rap kellyco usually gets.
I had one of those....serious POS. It bent easily....unless I just got an inferior one. It came with my first detector; so I really wasn't out anything. You want a real digger....get a lesche! ;D

dabprod

Greenie
Mar 3, 2008
Wolf Lake, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
Thanks for the heads up, just bought the 5-in-one survival shovel on e-bay and now off to home depot for the digger.....................Dan

JardiniMagic

Greenie
Jan 31, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT, V3i, Ace 250
Thank you! after reading your posts I went to Pro Mack Mining Supply and looked at the Lesche and checked it out then went to Home Depot and looked at the Ames! at $12.99 compared to $39.99 I had to go with the Ames! again Thank you All for if you live paycheck to paycheck like I do Your Ideas really Help! -Gary :thumbsup:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JardiniMagic said:
Thank you! after reading your posts I went to Pro Mack Mining Supply and looked at the Lesche and checked it out then went to Home Depot and looked at the Ames! at $12.99 compared to $39.99 I had to go with the Ames! again Thank you All for if you live paycheck to paycheck like I do Your Ideas really Help! -Gary :thumbsup:

Yeah buddy, that's what I thought when I bought mine! Can't beat that price... especially for a college kid like myself! :)
I'd say that if I had 40 bucks to blow, I'd get a Lesche... but my momma raised me up better than that.
I'd probably just end up buying 3 of the Ames tools for the same price. Or maybe two and a couple pairs of batteries.
My momma was a smart woman. ;)

Bran <><

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
The one other tool at Lowes that you shouldn't be without. This tool is sharpened like a pick on one side and the other end is sharpened also. They work great when you don't have to worry about tearing up a lawn. Cost about $13.00. I put one of those super magnets on the end to pick up metal. You can see the black sand on the magnet. Get the magnet with the hole through the middle and drill a hole in the top of the digger. A screw holds it on the top. It works great and has held up well. You can get a tool holder for it pretty cheap that goes on your belt. I've really abused this tool and it just keeps coming back for more. In hard soil, just start digging several inches away from the coin, then get under it to pop it out. A direct hit will do some damage, so be careful.

Good hunting, John K

Attachments

• DSCN1305.JPG
    DSCN1305.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCN1305.JPG
    DSCN1305.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 471

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rifleman said:
The one other tool at Lowes that you shouldn't be without. This tool is sharpened like a pick on one side and the other end is sharpened also. They work great when you don't have to worry about tearing up a lawn. Cost about $13.00. I put one of those super magnets on the end to pick up metal. You can see the black sand on the magnet. Get the magnet with the hole through the middle and drill a hole in the top of the digger. A screw holds it on the top. It works great and has held up well. You can get a tool holder for it pretty cheap that goes on your belt. I've really abused this tool and it just keeps coming back for more. In hard soil, just start digging several inches away from the coin, then get under it to pop it out. A direct hit will do some damage, so be careful.

Good hunting, John K

I think I recall you posting a photo of that pic elsewhere on the forums, but I didn't know where you got it. I can't believe you found it at Lowes as well! I'm definitely going to pick one of those up soon for my arsenal!!! Thanks!

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread