If it was you ?

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Re: If it was you

The detectors you mentioned wouldn't be my choices but thats normal . Given the choices you
listed , I would keep the XLT & buy the exterra 70

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

That is a hard one...if you are only somewhat happy with the DFX then not sure if you would want to keep it. I am not at all familiar with the XLT though I have heard great things about them. The lil Ace 250 is a great lil machine for a lot of things and the X-terra 70 is in a whole different league from the 250, definitely a very nice machine. It would be a lot easier for folks to give advice if they knew what kind of hunting you wanted to do and what you are looking for in a machine. I know David wants multi-tones and a read out on his....he likes to hear the difference between different targets and be able to look and see about how deep the target is etc etc. Others are more interested in playing with lots of adjustments and programs which tend to overwhelm others. It is all about what kind of hunting you want to do and what you enjoy as far as a machine. What is it with the DFX that has you only somewhat happy with it? That might be a good place to start in finding out what would suit you best. ;)

OP
OP
L

lalal09

Greenie
Feb 11, 2008

I'm somewhat happy with the XLT not the DFX right now I'm just coin shooting but wanting to do some gold prospecting too.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

If that is the case, the X-terra would probably be a better choice for you. The Ace250 does great at coin shooting but probably would not be real helpful prospecting. I am sure some of the folks with more experience with some of the machines you are discussing will jump in with some great advice. There are a lot of awesome folks here! Since you already have a machine you have time to look at all the options and advice and make the best choice for you. Take your time and find the perfect fit! :D Can't wait to see what you decide on!

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
IMO keep the XLT, which is a low frequency detector and good for silver and just a good all around detector. Get a MXT for the gold, which is a higher frequency unit. Both units will do multi purpose hunting and both units are good for relic hunting also.
You should also invest in various size coils for both units. If you are going to do prospecting then you will want to have a couple sizes of dd coils for what ever detector you end up with. Just be sure you get a high frequency unit for the gold. Just my take on it. HH Highwater

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You didn't give us enogh background info.

Do you hunt the beach? Surf? Nuggets? Relics, coins, old coins?

If you want a wet surf model and still want to hunt inland it really would be better to have two good units, one for the surf and the other for coin shootong or relics. But, if you're like me, one good unit for coin shooting and a simple back-up for a loaner or in case of emergency is fine.

I'd go with a good unit and something simple like a Tesoro or a Fisher 1212.

The XTerra-70 is too close (IMHO) to your XLT . . . but then you would have two good detectors. So, in that case, which do you use? Always a dilemma.

To borrow from the Beach Boys: "The guys go steady 'cause it wouldn't be right to leave your best girl home on a Saturday night."

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe the Xterra 70 has gold nugget circuitry. It will certainly find gold rings as will most and the best can pick up thin gold chains, small earrings etc. Much different when nugget shooting natural gold which is usually in very tough ground conditions and you want to pick up the tiniest bit of gold. You really need a dedicated machine for it. The only coin and jewelry machine I know of with separate nugget shooting circuitry is the MXT. It's based on the GMT gold detector. Just another 2 cents to think about.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the xt-70 is more versitile than the mxt, plus you can change the frequency with the coils, and has a dedicated prospecting mode, the mxt is a great machine to

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread