I must have looked like a bad boy

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2
I must have looked like a bad boy

Today was a first for me. I was having fun at a tot lot when a guy came over to me and told me with a Huff that the neighbors didn't like the fact that I was there. I told him I was only there picking up coins and I meant no harm. 10 mi nets later two police cars pulled up and asked me if I was a treasure hunter I Told them I was and we started talking about detectors. Some guy pulled up in a pickup truck and started to tell the police I had to go. The policeman went over to this guy who was starting to raise his voice and told this guy that have every right to be here. This guy didn't like it and started arguing with the officer. Well the officer set him st right and I went back to having fun for another two hours.

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I must have looked like a bad boy

well at least the law was on your side.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

did you look like this??

Attachments

• angry_smile.gif
    angry_smile.gif
    117 KB · Views: 935

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other

jeesh! glad the boys in blue were there for you.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Glad the guys were with you on this one...Just as long as you didn't look like this one..

Attachments

• dom.jpg
    dom.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 936

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Pretty cool... if this was a post AGAINST police you woulda had 50 replies by now... :icon_scratch:

Thanks for posting.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Heck...even the boys in blue have good days and are honest.
I applaude them for doing what's right.
Al

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Whats the matter with the some people in this world. :( For god's sake its a hobby and were not hurting anyone, destroying things, and most of the time we remove junk that could hurt their kids. Stop by and talk to us, let us tell you about our hobby. I love to talk to folks about it and for the most part people who see you have an interest, then there's the guy above. Sorry for the rant.
Its nice to hear the local Lawmen were on your side.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola

Montana Jim said:
Pretty cool... if this was a post AGAINST police you woulda had 50 replies by now... :icon_scratch:

Thanks for posting.

You are probably right, Jim. Glad this one turned out OK.

DM

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool post!

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.

there was this old guy that worked a toll booth near me.he allways had the oldies station on singing away
as he took your change.then one day he had a never before seen frown on his face and no music.I guess
someone could not stand seeing a person happy at work and complained.some people are miserable control
freaks and are not happy till every one else is like them.good for the police for sticking up for your rights.

OP
OP
firedup

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2

thanks for the response everybody. IT did feel good to not have to defend myself for having a hobby. you know it's easy to get down on the law but if you sit down and think what it would be like without these men and woman, well I don't see a very pretty picture of what things would be like. Anyway thanks again and keep on shooting those coins.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Very glad the officer set that guy straight. Oftentimes I find needles and nails and such at tot lots when I am detecting....maybe next time someone who seems huffy asks if you are looking for coins you can tell them you are cleaning up all the needles and nails and finding an occasional coin! lol Keep at it and have fun!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice to see being a "Treasure Hunter" is not considered a Bad thing
up your way Either.

Great Story & Outcome.

Jeff

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007

Sometimes people seem to think of all PD officers as storm troopers. There are those type to be sure, but there are many who are very fair and do care about peoples rights. Sounds like you ran into one of the good guys. The point about picking up trash is a very good one. When someone questions me as to me possibly causing damage, I always show them how careful I am if cutting into grass, filling holes and show them the sharp pieces of metal and shards of glass that I have cleaned up, reminding them that I most likely saved some little kid a nasty cut on the hand or foot. It's enough to change their opinion in many cases. I also like to point out that I am finding history. Being an old coin or artifact that would have been lost forever. It works for me and many times changes public opinion one person at a time.

Good hunting, John K

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have had a similar situation, but the "tip off" was anonymous. A police cruiser pulls up and the nice man gets out and asks me if I have a hunting knife on my belt. "No, it's a trowel" (a Lesche). He asked to see it and I handed it to him. I asked if there was a problem and he said not really. Someone called in a nut with a Bowie knife in the playground and, after feeling the edge of the Lesche and talking with me a bit, he said something along the lines of "I just needed to make sure you weren't a threat and satisfy the neighborhood busybody with binoculars that I did show up and confront you. Consider yourself confronted. You have a good day sir."

In cases like this I have ALWAYS found that if you are polite and honest everyone gets back to what they were doing on good terms. Screaming "NAZI" and kicking dirt on their shoes seldom works to your advantage.

I have also had a mean little teeny-bopper come up to me all huffy and say: "You know that's stealing?" I said: "No, this was litter; and don't be rude to strangers."

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Score one for the good guys, both you and the police! :thumbsup:

I always keep a little trash in my pouch to show someone who shows up, questioning, they don't realize how much dangerious trash we remove from the parks, playgrounds and beaches.

madcow_number_6

Dec 28, 2007
Russellville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 4

Treasure_Hunter said:
I always keep a little trash in my pouch to show someone who shows up, questioning, they don't realize how much dangerious trash we remove from the parks, playgrounds and beaches.

this has been my habit too lately. A few large pieces of glass and something pokey lets the soccer moms and huffed up fathers know that your doing a service to them as well as enjoying your hobby.

B

BIG61AL

My only incident with an officer of the law had a positive out come. He was more interested in my metal detecter than me. Unforntunately he talked for over an hour with me and that was the end of the time I had to detect. oh well it beats getting a ticket any day of the week.

OP
OP
firedup

firedup

Jan 28, 2008
Detector(s) used
DFX ,Bullseye 2

Hey Big61al Thanks for your response. That was pretty good you got to talk with him Because now if a call does come in he will remember you and probably not even bother you. Hey tell me how does that coil of yours work? firedup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread