Need help deciding on a Metal Detector.

Frogsong

Greenie
Mar 29, 2008
Squaw Valley
Hi everyone,

I've been reading here for the past few days and trying to learn as much as I can.
And let me tell you, the more I read the more excited I get about treasure hunting.

This is actually my first and probably my most important post.
I'm looking for a good metal detector but know nothing about them so I'm hoping some of you can help me choose the right Metal Detector for me.
First let me tell you a little about me which I think will help to narrow down my search, I hope.

I'm a 45 year old woman, well, I'll be 45 tomorrow. :) I'm 5' 3" if that matters, I don't know.

When I jump into new things I tend to dive right in with both feet and skip beginners going straight to intermediate/advanced. I don't know why I do this, I think because I get bored with beginner equipment/ supplies before I even get started. So my choice in a metal detector would most likely be something in the intermediate to advanced category. Middle of the road? Something I know I won't grow out of too soon.

I would like to be able to hunt in or out of water. I'd like to hunt for all coins jewelry and most anything really. Do they have metal detectors that find glass?

And the most important thing that I need to consider is that I have Fibromyalgia. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a chronic pain condition. So, the weight of the metal detector is important. I want to be able to punish myself for as long as possible. :wink:
I'd like to find a good light weight easy to carry detector that isn't going to wear me out too fast.

I've started saving up for a metal detector and will continue to save until I have enough to buy a good one.

So do any of you have a metal detector that you would recommend for someone like me?

Thank you,

Debra

Upvote 0

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Frogsong,

Welcome to "Club Tnet"! this is the place to find out about metal detectors. Take your time ask a lot of questions and consider the answers. Everyone of us has his or her idea about what the best detector is. Stay with the major brands and find what's best suited to your particular situation. I sell Tesoro, which has a fine line of detectors that are the lightest weight of any on the market. If you are interested in more info about Tesoro send me a PM. Joe

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the minelab xt 50, 70, and teknetics t-2 can be had in the 400-500 price range used, great machines, and light as well

stanjam

Mar 23, 2008
Springfield, MA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I am really too new to give any advice on which to use. I love my ACE, but have heard it isn't the best at the beach.

Just wanted to wish you good luck, and do your research! You want a machine good for what you want to do! (treasure you are looking for, soil, areas etc.) You also want something lightweight due to your Fibro. The ACE is very light, but again, I don't know if it would be right for you because of the saltwater. My wife has Fibro. She owns a fibro help mailing list for sufferers, so I know what you are going through! Keep the machine light, and don't overdo it, or you might put yourself in a flare!

Good hunting to you!

OP
OP
Frogsong

Frogsong

Greenie
Mar 29, 2008
Squaw Valley
Thank you Thompy, I will definitely check into those too.

Stanjam, I'm sorry to hear your wife has Fibro. Could you PM me how to find her mailing list? I'd be interested in it.
And I am notorious for overdoing it. But I refuse to allow the Fibro to beat me!
I'll crawl to where I need to go if I have to...LOL I'm very stubborn.

I've been reading a lot about the Ace 250. It sounds like a nice Metal Detector but I don't know that it's the right one for me.

Thank you,

Debra

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
The Minelab X-Terra 70 would also be a good choice. With the 18.75 coils it's great for finding gold jewelry and at 2.9 pounds, it's one of the lightest on the market. All but one of the coils are waterproof. Just my 2 cents. It's also very user friendly for the new user. If possible, you may want to go to a full line dealer and check out several of the models mentioned. Most of the mid priced detectors are pretty darn good these days.

Good hunting, John K

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread