newbie ?s

wingman

Mar 17, 2004
johnstown,ohio
Detector(s) used
ace 250
newbie ?'s

hi all.the names shane and im kindof new the MDing.
im looking for some advice.i know that half the battle is research and getting permission to hunt someelse's property.
ive spent the last year doing just that and now have alot of places to hunt and the research to back it up.
im using a discovery 1000 from radio shack(i know its not the best,but with having 2 kids and a house at age 25,my wife couldnt afford anything better at xmas time).
what advice would you give a newbie who's never been out yet?
ive read alot about doing a plug when you've found something.what is it and what the best way to do it?
im a huge history buff so i think this is just the hobby for me.
thanks all
shane

Upvote 0

midus1

Jul 8, 2003
Alexandria, Ky
newbie ?'s

Wingman,

Welcome to this great hobby. Enjoy yourself and take time to learn the machine. This takes a lot of practise.

I cut a plug in the shape of a U, put my blade under and flip the whole thing over. When I find the object, I put all dirt back in the hole and fold the U back over on top of the hole. This also takes practise and during hot dry spells you have to be extremely careful doing this as the grass will turn if the roots do not take.

Take along a seperate bag for all trash you dig up and dispose of it in a trash can somewhere.

Be very aware of the property you are on and respect the condition of the ground.

Welcome aboard.

HH

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
newbie ?'s

I use sort of a putty knife/paint scraper tool which has a fairly thin sharp edge and is about 3" wide. I cut about a 3" square plug down to about 3 inches and pop the whole thing out. I put it on a piece of plastic or a frizbee, along with any dirt I dig up so as to not make a mess. I put additional dirt in a plastic bucket, plastic so you can wave your MD over them and find what is in them...

Dump dirt back into hole, stomp plug back in, sweep your foot over the grass to make it stand back up...good as new! The grass stays alive no problem. Watch out in july or august though...

Don't expect coins to start flying out of the ground when you first start, tons and tons of people quit MDing early- don't be dissappointed, stay with it, and learn your machine.

Attachments

• Backing 173rd.jpg
    Backing 173rd.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Backing our Men.jpg
    Backing our Men.jpg
    311.6 KB · Views: 7
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Ban the Bombers SDS.jpg
    Ban the Bombers SDS.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Change the scene.jpg
    Change the scene.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 8
  • GI Rally kept.jpg
    GI Rally kept.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Nixon nothing to hide.jpg
    Nixon nothing to hide.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Nixon Watergate Team.jpg
    Nixon Watergate Team.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Uncle Sam.jpg
    Uncle Sam.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 11
  • GIs Vets 4 Peace.jpg
    GIs Vets 4 Peace.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 20

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
newbie ?'s

Usually local parks are good for starters. Look under big trees where picnicers like the shade, or along sportsfield edges.

I use a screwdriver and push it down near- but not directly into - the target. I widen the hole by angling the screwdriver back and forth until I can get my fingers in there to feel around. Be careful, though, as there can be sharp glass in the hole-- you don't want to cut yourself.

When I'm done I just pinch the hole closed. I find this is an excellent way to keep the grass green.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread