Headphone Question

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Hi, I'm new here sort of, I used to post on the old forum years ago. My question is why do hobbyists buy these high priced headphones, you know the different brands ($90 and up). I use a pair of Koss TD 80 headphones that I paid $25 for, they have good crisp sound, are lightweight, comfortable, nice cord with a gold plated plug, 60 ohms. I did try a set of Timberwolves when they first came out and they were good headphones but not $80 better than the Koss, actually I sold the Timberwolves and kept the Koss TD 80's. Let's face it, all we are doing is listening to a signal tone or tones from a metal detector, not really rocket science, and I'm not listening to Bethovens 5th, so why do I need to spend $100 or more? So long as the headphones have good clarity and allow you to hear the faint signals that's all you need IMO. I'm no electronics expert, I'm just stating my in field experience. I've also tried the cheap, 8 ohm model phones (we know these) when I first started and I would not recommend these unless that's all one could afford. I just think there's a happy medium, maybe I'm a little too oldschool, I don't know. Please someone prove me wrong. Thanks for letting me express my opinion.

Upvote 0

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Well, I don't think I can prove you wrong since it is just a matter of opinion, However I do have to disagree with you. The Koss TD is better than the Calrad's but still just OK headphones and I have used Koss. They will do the job and do not sound bad but they are a far cry from the top end units. To me the actual sound, tone, etc matters and there is most definitely a difference. I use a threshold machine and now that I have been using the Ratphones for almost a year I could not go back. When I get that slight increase in threshold letting me know there is a deep target the Ratphones make it easy to pick it up where as before with the cheaper sets I couldn't or it would sound like a little chatter or interference. 60 ohms are OK but for prolonged listening and better discernible signals on deep targets I believe they are worth the extra bucks.

*Sealed high power controls with tight rotation feel and high reliability over 25,000 life cycles.
*Field replaceable tough polyurethane cable.
*Multi-Machine compatible.
*Pro-Leather Cushions that will never harden provide excellent isolation and comfort.
*Aerospace Teflon wiring (600V/200°C)
*No switches needed. Just reverse cable ends!
*Compatible with both parallel tip-ring (Tesoro, Troy, Whites) and series tip-ring machines. (Minelab, Garrett, Fisher).
*Mono capable on stereo machines (Nautilus).
*20Hz to 20Khz natural response and loud!
*Rare earth cobalt speakers.
*Fully Foldable design for compact carry or storage.
*Sensitivity 117db at 1mW
*SNR rating 28db for high super quiet noise isolation.
*270 ohms (285 single, 300 EX), 600 ohm speakers.
*Dual low profile molded right angle plugs.
*Cable length 3 to 12 ft. (retracted/extended)
*Quality jack with gold plated contacts.
*Head weight 10.72 ounces. That's 1.28 Oz lighter than other brands and you still get the full 28db cup.
*Lifetime limited warranty!
*Custom stereo, filter or limiter available.

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
gary in idaho said:
Let's face it, all we are doing is listening to a signal tone or tones from a metal detector, not really rocket science,
Ah but it is metal detecting science and when you done the time studying, let say 1000 hours. Test different headphones you know the answer then. Not to say you cant get away with just any headphones, but it's a sweet sound of that quite but solid sound of a deep target. The detector will tell you more with sound then anything else period.
la Beep

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Tin Nugget, I too use RatPhones and would not give them up for anyother phones....PERIOD. I've tried all of the lesser phones provided by the detector manufacturers, Koss stereo sets, and the first series of Pro Phones of the 1990s. I've worn USAF issue headsets as an aircrew member and NONE were as good as those RATS. Not only do they have the clarity of sound (thanks to their impedance of 315 ohms) that means you'll be able to hear the tiniest nuances of sounds, but they are the only headphones that I've ever found that actually cover 100% of my ear area. The cup cushions seal the entire 360 degrees around my earlobe. The design of the earcups' mounting to the ends of the headbands allows them to naturally pivot in so the bottoms of the cups fit against the side of my throat beneath my earlobes. If there is a drawback, it might be that the full fit of the earcups seals out the ambient noises which could be bad in some situations. In these cases, I rubberneck a little more to improve my "situational awareness". The guy that designs and builds the RATS knows what he's doing. And by the way, according to the builder, RATPhones stands for "Relic And Treasure Phones. NUFF SAID. :thumbsup: ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I should try the RATphones. I've used the less expensive Koss phones before I tried out the Grey Ghosts, Black Widow's and other higher priced jobbies. With the different tones todays detectors put out, just having a "buzz" noise isn't enough. Then as we get older and lose some hearing of certain frequencies, the better phones really help.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I have grey ghosts , black widows , killer bees , a set of the wireless phones Kellyco used to sell & a
couple cheaper sets . My wife likes & uses the killer bees , My favorites as far as sound goes are the
grey ghosts but I use the wireless set the most . There is definately a noticable difference between the
sound of cheaper phones & quality phones . The wireless phones are light & really comfortable to wear
& of course wireless . They don't sound bad but they're not on par with the best sets .

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a set of Greyghosts on my land Sov Gt, a set of Black Widows on the Water-proofed Sov Gt, a Set of Ratphones and I also picked up the DetectorPro Uniprobe with the built in headphones which I REALLY like..

I have had 2 sets of the cheap whites headphones and there is not doubt there is definately a noticable difference between the cheap and the good headphones in the clear sounds on the deep targets.

George W

Greenie
May 16, 2008
I'm using the $49 dollar Whites Royal GT's.. For cheap headphones I think they do a darn good job. I like the gold plated L jack on them.. What do some of you think of these? George

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a pair, but one side of them stopped working. I then picked up a used pair of Grey Ghosts, then a used pair of Killer B's and the DetectorPro Uniprobe with the built in headset......

I picked up the extra headphones because I have several detectors and a couple times I forgot to switch the headphones to the detector I was taking that day.........I hate to hunt with out headphones...........

rcasi44

Jul 24, 2006
NE Illinois
George W said:
I'm using the $49 dollar Whites Royal GT's.. For cheap headphones I think they do a darn good job. I like the gold plated L jack on them.. What do some of you think of these? George

George I think if you check where the cable enters the phones there is a strain relief. I've found it is loose and can turn. My set then would break a wire end or solder connection in the phones. I re soldered mine 3 times. Depending on which wire lets go one side or both sides quit working. I've had my RATS almost 3 years now. HH Rob

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I don't know much about the Rat phones and have never seen them advertised. I just bought a set of Black Widow's to replace a set of Calrads. The difference is like night and day. I'm not ready to change phones at this time, but would like more info on the Rat phones. Price, and where they are available.

Thanks, John K

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently picked up a pair of Rat phones used for a good price and like them. I have multiple detectors and keep a set with several of the detectors so I do not go out and forget to move headphones from one detector to the detector I am taking.

TOWcritter

I just got a set of Koss Passive noise canceling head phones. On the box it says "for use around jet engines" When you first put them on it is almost like you are deaf. You literally can't hear any outside noise. I am going to try them for the first time with my MXT at the beach today. Wind and waves are pretty loud, so I hope they work there.

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im using a pair of 59.00 duraphone head phones, the cord is replaceable phone cord that plugs in , so if you slam it in the car door or trunk lid any store that sells a phone cord in the field is the repair, and just plug it in and your good to go.. but i think they are now out of business dunno each ear had its own vol control plus mono/stereo switch too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread