what is the depth of the ace 250

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
Well, you're not going to gain much. My Ace is good to about 6" with the stock coil. I've seen others say the larger coil is deeper but I don't know for sure. I faced the same dillemma a few years back, the ACE250 is a schoolyard coin killer for sure, but don't think you're gonna dig deep.

Greg

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I second that- UNLESS you pick up the Ace 250 sport pack, which includes the big coil in addition to the standard coil. A hunting partner of mine has it and he regularly digs coin-sized targets from 8-10 inches. You may not get the best repeating signals, but the machine will indicate that there is something there.

I might get 6 inches on average with the Ace w/ standard coil on coins. Sometimes, a little more, but rarely so. It's great to use if you know of a park that gets a lot of use by people and you just want to pick up tons of clad. That's what it was designed for, I'd assume.

Joe

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
When thinking of any new machine, if you can, test before buying.

Most detectors made today get very similar depth when used in mild soils with the same size and type of coil.

The major issue today is the coil and the circuitry associated with that coil (the receive section).

Some brands/models have cheaper coils and associated circuitries and some expensive brands have very sophisticated advanced coil systems (Nexus for example).

But price doesn't always indicate productive abilities. Don't be mislead by all the hype you read. I've purchased very expensive detectors and found less with them than I did with machines costing 1/12 the price (yes, I'm serious).

When it comes to actual coin/ring detection in mild soils, all detectors today regardless of the price are basically the same (as far as results).

The difficult soils require more sophisticated electronic circuitry (in the receive section) plus the more advanced coil designs.

You can still find stuff with the low cost machines, but at these unique locations (rather rare), you'll gain inches of depth with a more advanced circuitry machine.

No, not all detectors are exactly alike in all soils.

As for the Ace, I haven't used it but I'd guess it to be pretty much inline with other "major brands" ranging from $50-$800 in price (considering cheap Chinese to expensive name brands). Now, this would be in mild soils--not the more challenging soils. Then the story can totally change.

The biggest thing in this hobby isn't material but psychological. If you really believe in your machine you'll find more because you'll work harder.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I agree with the others as far as the ace not being an upgrade over the detector you have . I have
two 250's , the wife uses one & I got the other one for a loaner . I certainly wouldn't compare it with
most $800.00 detectors though . As for realiable depth , in my area , probably 4-5 " .

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
I decided to retract my last post. It's a worn out subject and HillBilly said enough about it in his post anyway.

Have a good time all.

EasyMoney

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread