looking for a portable type of MD

lumix

Jun 11, 2005
Rhode Island
Hello

I'm a hiker tramping though the woods of Mass & Rhode Island. My average hike takes me between 15 and 20 miles. Over the years I have stumbled on many old stone celler holes and barn foundations in remote areas. Many date from the late 1700's and 1800's.. Lots of stone wall lined farm roads and farm fields.I have explored these site in a noninvasive way, never finding anything of interest.
I thought it would be cool if i could find some sort of a detector that i could carry in a back pack.
So far I have only found this one that i could manage on a log hike.
http://www.kellycodetectors.com/vibra/vibra-tector-720.htm
Would using something like this be a wast of money & time?
Do you know of any alternitives?

Upvote 0
D

deacon

I use to have a Backpacker by A.H.PRO which would fit the bill if you can find one.

You might want to take a look at a TESORO. I picked up an AMIGO for my daughter a couple years ago. Smaller and lighter than the backpacker and works as well if not better.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Metal detectors today are light weight and easily break down into 2 components. Mine only weights 2.5 lbs. A heavy one is considered to weigh 4 lbs. Your digging tool may weigh more. Tesoro does have a lot of light weight models. A light weight backpack is all you need. You need a regular metal detector that offers iron discrimination.

Your idea is excellent, You will be detecting in out of the way locations which may have never been detected before. However, your main enjoyment is still hiking not metal detecting. When you have the altitude that you use your hiking skills(Yes I am jealous) to reach great MD locations you will be one of us. Be warned- the day you dig up a 150 year old large cent you will be addicted and will be one of us.

Good Luck
George

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
My Gosh! I would love to find a place like that! Good luck with finding a detector.

vicki

PS - welcome to the forum!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread