Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's say 100 years from now...do you think people will be still searching the earth for coins and relics? Will there be any value to say a 2008 Lincoln Penny (which would be 100 years old at that point? How about a circa 2008 belt buckle?

Will there still be virgin ground to search for what we are all searching for now? CW Relics? Colonial? Will anyone still care at that point?

I am curious about what you guys think.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Nudels, I'm willing to be that you've got that TN law misinterpretted. Or whoever told you that information had it misinterpretted themselves. The wording your aluding to (if it's even there) probably says something about not detecting any historical site or object, blah, blah. And it may extend itself from the state level ALL the way down to ANY public land beneath that level: county and city too. The novice reader fails to understand that the key words are "historic site/object". They simply focus on the "extension to any commonwealth land blah blah", and think that means all public land is offlimits. Yup, even the local city modern school, or whatever. But if you read the law closely, you will see that the site needs to be DECLARED such a site, or an object has to be found and THEN be declared as such, so the site can then be labled as such, thereafter being in that level of protection. So basically, yes, you can't, in that/those states, go into protected momunents, active archie digs, etc.... But the wording in no way applies to ALL public land UNLESS they were ..... as they say in England .... "Scheduled" sites.

As far as your last question, on where to find a list of each state's laws, you can go to the FMDAC website, and follow the links to a state-by-state list they made. But be aware of a few things:

1) It would only apply to state land (like state parks) not "all" land,

2) the way they got their information was to simply send a letter to each state park's head office and ask. So depending on the way the person opening and reading that mail felt/interpretted it, is the type answer you would get. So for example: It's a given that in ANY state, a few of the state run parks would obviously be historic in nature. But a whole bunch of them probably aren't historic, nor would ever have cared or even thought of the issue. But rather than break each one out individually, they just give a blanket "no", or "ask at each kiosk you come to" etc...

For example: If you read the FMDAC's portion on CA, you might walk away downright discouraged. But what's wierd is, there are a lot of state parks (and ALL beaches) that you can detect here till you're blue in the face, and no one will ever say "boo" to you (as long as they're not obvious protected historic monument type places) But I suppose if you asked enough persons, and kept going high enough up the ladder, you would eventually find someone to tell you "no" (to address your pressing issue).

nudels

Jun 21, 2008
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Vantage AD-14, Tesoro Sand Shark
rmptr said:
So I guess you guys watch the same fun films I have...

From Logan's Run, through Blade Runner, Demolition Man, Equalibrium, and a whole bunch of others!

I'm about to quit 'em all and go back to Louie Lamour!

HH
rmptr

My all time favorite armageddon movie involved a TH scene at the end, he found a huge copper artifact. When he realized what he found he was quite upset, probably from the lack of law supporting MD'ing. Here is the evidence:

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2000/02/03/Planet.jpg

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
In 100 years, no one will find any 2008 Lincoln cents, or any zinc cents for that matter, due to the fact that they corrode so rapidly. Finding any copper penny will be like finding a large cent today. Think about it.

Finding a silver coin will be like finding a gold coin today.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Richard said it right.........it all boils down to how many there are.........quantity versus demand. Will people still be detecting? I believe so...........no matter how good a detector, there is stuff that is simply out of reach. I can imagine plenty of good silver coins laying right under or directly to some evil metal junk that prohibits its detection by a detector. Maybe some day something happens and that coin moves over a little bit, just enough to be detectable, or perhaps a technology will exists that can see that coin sitting right there with an aluminum can or 3 inches below that cellphone someone dropped in 2003. There are many possiblities as to why there are still going to be coins we never got.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread