Hard hot hunt, skunked but not discouraged!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been working a park only a couple of blocks from my house. I go there mostly as a matter of convenience to test my equipment or work out solutions to problems I have been having in learning MDing, pick up a little clad, visit with the kids and Moms and just kill a little time on slow days. Since obtaining my top of the line detector I have been planning on moving up to some more serious treasure hunting tasks and today I decided to totally concentrate on hunting jewelry. So.....
I set my Garrett GTI 2500 on the jewelry mode and marked off a small area around the swings determined to dig every target. The weather was near 90 degrees with high humidity and no wind to cool things off. I spent the better part of two hours, mostly on my knees digging at various depths for unspecified targets. Net results wasm I nearly got heat stroke, dug up dozens of small pirces of chopped up aluminum cans probably victims of the lawnmowers past, more than my fair share of those dreaded you know whats, a couple of brass pipe couplings and one zipper tab from a Wilson Sporting Goods product! it's the hardest I have worked in a long time. I was totally skunked at my first really serious attempt to discover real treasure! But in spite of that I can't wait for the morning so I can go and do the same thing all over again, this time perhaps finding that elusive diamond ring or the long lost gold coin or even that Wilson product that goes with the zipper puill tab! JIM

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well good luck to ya tomorrow Jimmi..... :) I'm sure you'll come up with something good....even if it's another adventure to tell about..... ;)

Nana ;)

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? Sounds like the day i had. Went hunting in the deepest darkest corner of a park, where i had seen some exsposed large and expansive root systems, of trees that are no longer there. Thinking there might be some oldies, tucked away in the roots. Temp. around 90, i dug in, around and even through roots. Came away with only some clad, and left a few pounds that i sweated off. Funny thing was, one of the root systems, about 12 ft. in diameter. Had eleven nickles spread through out it's roots. Whatever went on there, must have cost a nickle. All dated 60's and 70's. ?Oh well, ?maybe next time. Good luck on the rings. ? ? HH

T

T-Rex

gotta go thru the valley (sounds like death valley) to get to the mountain-top...

sounds like you may wanna recruit a grandson/daughter as excavator and cold drink appropriator... :)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can't wait to see the diamond ring picture that you're going to post next time, Jimmileo. ;D

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well (I'm aRonald Regan fan), I didn't find diamonds but I did find that silver ring next time out. Just goes to show you never know from time to time what you will come up with. I guess that's what keeps most of us coming back? I've been getting up a daybreak and going out about 5:30 AM to beat the heat. It's nice that time of morningi, no one aout and about except a few joggers and people who go to work early. Found the busiest place in town this morning when I stopped at the local convenience store to get some of that gold they call gasoline. I found about $20.00 worth of gold at the pump and it didn't but just barely move my gas guage! That's life in the jungle I suppose? JIM

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If at 1st you don't succeed

"try, try again"!

You'll find something good/gold soon Jim!

HH

Lonewolfe

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I know I will lonewolf, just haven't had the opportunity to search the right spot yet. I know I'm not apt to find gold coins at the local highschool. I'm not discouraged and will keep at it. Just wish I had taken up this hobby when I was a younger man. At 61 with a bad back that getting up and down to dig is awfuly roiugh on you sometimes. Maybve I'll find the fountain of youth? JIM

T

T-Rex

I saw the fountain of youth at St. Augustine... Ponce was nowhere to be found... :D

hockeyplayer

Aug 24, 2003
I highly recommend a pin pointer to help locate those hard to find objects. Digging is one thing but by using a pinpointer you can cut the "bending over" time significantly. Good luck!!!

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of them pinpointer things but the darn thing kept buzzing every time I stuck it down in a hole! It quit after I stomped it a bit but I haven't been able to locate one pin with it! Seriously, I have one but you have to bend to use it and trying to bend my back is my worse problem. I have to get down on my knees to dig every time to be able to do it at all. In case anyone is wondering, I had a fall about 8 years ago and broke my back in 3 places I had to have 2 reconstructive surgeries and I now have a quarter million dollars worth of titanium rods and screws holding me together. I barely escaped paralysis and was very lucky in that respect. I have chronic pain, can't walk very far or carry much weight at all. I've kicked a depedence on Oxycontin, the Rush Limbaugh drug and hardly take any pain relievers at all anymore. The side effects were terrible and I thought I'd die from withdrawal and I'd never take that again if I had it to do over. I've neve abused any drug but did become dependant on it legally. Metal detecting gives me what little exercise I get and other than the getting up and down I can tolerate it pretty well because I can go at my own pace which is kinda' slow. Here I go baring all again. I know some of you have probably wondered about some of the reamarks l've made about my back so there it is. Don't worry, I'm getting along pretty well all things considered. JIM

T

T-Rex

You need to get you a steady digger and rest that back... got any grandkids?

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
Jim. thanks for the details . . . it does sometimes complete the picture so to speak. Sorry about the fall and the present "discomfort" but sure glad you dodged the rest of it. Slow movers aren't so bad, we all have days like that, you just have more of them. I enjoy your postings and am glad you found a hobby like this to enjoy and get exercise also. I have found MDing does wonders for me also.

Hobo

M

mattjd

Hello Jim. I have a few suggestions I would like to make to you. Here they are:

1 - If your new to the GTI 2500 then you should start out in coin mode. It is easier to get used to this machine in this mode because the disc. will eliminate all that junk you'll find if your in Jewlery Mode. After you master the Coin Mode you should customize your own Disc. which I'm sure you'll learn how to later.
2 - The battery comartment slides off the end and can be straped on your waist making the detector much lighter (not sure if you watched the instructional video yet). ? ? ?
3 - Don't bend with your back, BEND WITH YOUR KNEES! Don't make your back have to hurt any more than it does now!

HH

Matt

greenswinger

Feb 17, 2005
ms
? ?If you need pain medication for bad back...it does not matter if you get ? " hooked" ?YOU NEED IT ?!!! ?Anyhoo thats what my pain DR. told me . ?And taking $2100.oo a month in medication for back and hip injuries , I am self proclaimed expert . ? ? ?Jimelio ? iI think we must be cousins, I cain`t hear either. I used to come to port of catoosa about twice a month working, your stomping grounds ! ? ? Same digging method . ?use long tool , its helps me get up . Dig one hr, rest 1 hr !!!! ? Don`t walk more than 200 ft away from ride ! ?65 in dec. ? ? ? >:(

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greenswonger, I still have some meds for my back pain but I don't take the hard stuff anymore. I really suffered with side effects. I can stand a little pain as long as I can get off my feet and rest a little now and then.
My oldest Grand child living nearby is only 3 so she can't be much help. I'd spend more time keeping her out of the street than digging!
I've had the 2500 a couple of months and have spent more time with it than my wife! I had another detector before that and also played with my Dad's old Radio Shack cheapie when I was a teenager, so I have had some experience. I've pretty well got it figured out and at least I know what everything does and how to go throiugh the menus and pick and choose the features that I want. I'm always alert for anything new and learn something nearly every time out. So, when suggestions are made I understand what you are saying and many times I have already tried that particular technique or at least know how to do it But I appreciate all the information and keep it coming. JIM

T

T-Rex

Well, you can get her broken in real good at a young age... :)

My wife will come out with me once in a while but will sit in the park and read her book... she tell's me it's boring... boring until I find something
that can be hocked at the jewelry store anyway... :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread