Are Single Frequency Detectors Obsolete?

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
The gold hunters surely don't think the single frequency detectors are a thing of the past.

Every try to detect a gold chain with a Ex and you would understand why. I wonder how many
gold chains have been left in the ground by mult-frequency users?

A lot of the gold specimens I have are simply not detectable with multi-frequency units period. A gold
specimen I have was detectable at 10" with my X-5 but not a peep with an Explorer 11.

George

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
The gold hunters surely don't think the single frequency detectors are a thing of the past.

Every try to detect a gold chain with a Ex and you would understand why. I wonder how many

A lot of the gold specimens I have are simply not detectable with multi-frequency units period. A gold
specimen I have was detectable at 10" with my X-5 but not a peep with an Explorer 11.

George

Most detectors have a hard time getting coins at 10" so I would have to see that test. The chain would have to have small links for the explorer not to see it at all, and the X-5 gets it at 10"? I do agree with your argument but would have to see that test to believe.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Iron Patch said:
bakergeol said:

George

Most detectors have a hard time getting coins at 10" so I would have to see that test. The chain would have to have small links for the explorer not to see it at all, and the X-5 gets it at 10"? I do agree with your argument but would have to see that test to believe.

Iron Patch-
I apologize if my statements were not clear..
The test was on a good sized native gold specimen and not a chain. It actually was a wire gold specimen which occurs here in Colorado. Same reason as they don't see the whole piece just the individual pieces or links in the chain. PIs don't detect them either.

For those who have both multi-frequency and single frequency detectors- Try the gold chain test- You will be surprised.

George

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
Iron Patch said:
bakergeol said:

George

Iron Patch-
I apologize if my statements were not clear..
The test was on a good sized native gold specimen and not a chain. It actually was a wire gold specimen which occurs here in Colorado. Same reason as they don't see the whole piece just the individual pieces or links in the chain. PIs don't detect them either.

For those who have both multi-frequency and single frequency detectors- Try the gold chain test- You will be surprised.

George

Thanks George. I'm just trying to understand what you're saying because I'm not a gold hunter in any way, shape, or form... Unless it's the content of a coin, or on the surface of an old military button. :D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Jim Hemmingway said:
Good point George, you've mentioned that before during our GS5 discussion in regard to "sponge" gold/silver targets. When you mention the depth with the X-5, I wondered if your GMT would've also hit on that target? BTW what is the operating frequency of the X-5?

Jim.

Hi Jim

The GMT would just hit fine on that wire gold specimen. In my neck of the woods the GMT is the preferred unit for wire gold and I feel is a better unit for gold only than the X-5. The X-5 is 19Kz which is fine for small gold, however, the GMT I believe is at 48Khz which is a notch above. Total depth comparison for larger gold would be an interesting comparison for the X-5 versus the GMT?

The X-5 is a better overall machine for coin/relic/gold hunting but for gold only you stick with the GMT.
Kind of a moot point as Troy doesn't make the X-5 anymore. Will an X-7 ever be introduced?

George

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
one of my dads buddys bought a new Gmt for a trip to Alaska, said that where he was, detecting was not aloud, funny thing is he has no intrest in metal detecting, even though he lives in the middle of the old gold mines up north, i dont really get that, should ask what he wants for it, he is always giving my dad and brother good deals, he has found copper and iron ore on his property, and a nice vein of Quartz abou 4 ft wide, have to get up to his property and check it out, about the only reason i havent is he likes to feed them dam bears

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Iron Patch said:
bakergeol said:

George

I have been useing Minelabs since 1992 and there multi-frequency detectors is a known fact from back then right up to date...they will not pick up small gold chain's...and even some large ones.........Why don't people understand that???.....So i would have to say it will be a long time before Single Frequency detector's will be Obsolete

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gadabout - Jim said:
Iron Patch said:
bakergeol said:

George

I have been useing Minelabs since 1992 and there multi-frequency detectors is a known fact from back then right up to date...they will not pick up small gold chain's...and even some large ones.........Why don't people understand that???

Assuming that is directed to me my comment was about an Explorer not being able to see a chain or piece of chain that an X-5 could see at 10". If you think that is the truth by all means argue on. I did not say small gold chain but if the Shadow sees it at 10" call it small but you'd still have to prove the minelab can't see it. 10" shouldn't be thrown around too loosly, that's a very deep target for anything considered on the small size.

Bottom line is I don't think there is ANY target an X-5 can see at 10" that an Explorer can't at all. (talking your every day detecting) Well maybe a deep nail. ;D

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I did not intend to start a detector war here.

Again the gold in question which was tested was native specimen gold and not a chain. It was wire gold and not a complete whole specimen. The reason why the X-5 saw it and the EX did not was that the X-5 is a single frequency machine- ANY multi-frequency machine will probably not see this specimen either. Not at 10", 5" or right next to the coil- I tried Minelabs sov, Ex2, and SD 2200 (PI) with no results.

Jim is also correct about mult-frequency machines and gold chains. It is not a depth issue as they don't see them at any depth. This knowledge has been around for years.

This is NOT a put down of the Ex 11 as we are talking about all mult-frequency machines.
By the way I regarded the Ex11 as the best coin machine I have ever used. However,
I haven't tried the F-75 yet ;D ;D ;D

There is no do it all detector. Single frequency machines have their advantages over mult-frequency machines in certain areas.

George

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bakergeol said:
I did not intend to start a detector war here.

Again the gold in question which was tested was native specimen gold and not a chain. It was wire gold and not a complete whole specimen. The reason why the X-5 saw it and the EX did not was that the X-5 is a single frequency machine- ANY multi-frequency machine will probably not see this specimen either. Not at 10", 5" or right next to the coil- I tried Minelabs sov, Ex2, and SD 2200 (PI) with no results.

Jim is also correct about mult-frequency machines and gold chains. It is not a depth issue as they don't see them at any depth. This knowledge has been around for years.

This is NOT a put down of the Ex 11 as we are talking about all mult-frequency machines.
By the way I regarded the Ex11 as the best coin machine I have ever used. However,
I haven't tried the F-75 yet ;D ;D ;D

There is no do it all detector. Single frequency machines have their advantages over mult-frequency machines in certain areas.

George

Yes, and again the only point I'm making is that I don't believe an X-5 will see a piece of chain at 10" that the Explorer won't at all. I know that was not your intention George, but is what the poster called me on. I don't see it as a detector war, at least it's not to me as I could care less what detector hits gold the deepest or best because it's not really part of my hunting. That being said, I do know how capable the Explorer is at hitting small items as I try to pick every last speck of pewter and lead from my Colonial homesites. Yes, not a detector to nugget hunt with but ain't no way the X-5 hits your typical very small detecting target at 10" and the explorer will not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread