OLD GARRETT FORTUNE HUNTER

king tuck

Jul 28, 2008
Have aquired my dad's old Garrett Fortune Hunter MD. Unfortnately the slide-in batttery holder has coroded and damaged the connector for the four 9 volts batteries. Does anyone know where/how I can obtain a replacement or how to contact Garrett to see if it can be replaced or repaired.

Have seen some older comments from members who have had the same detector but do not work.
Is there anyone who would have and old detector that does not work that would be willing to sell a their slide-in battery holder. Battery holder has 6 slots for 9 volt batteries. 4 for operation and 2 spaces for spares.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the same battery holder for the ADS-7. You can contact Garrett at their website, or give them a call to see how much the battery holder costs.

I would suggest you just save it as being your dad's and get a newer one that is lighter and much easier on the battery power. If I remember right that old detector ate batteries like a fat lady at a buffet.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sandman's right, that's an antique (mid 1970s TR vintage?). You can knock yourself silly repairing it, and still have a dinasour. Those were knocked out of the water by the late '70s/early 80s as VLF (both disc. and all-metal) took over. Good for it's time, but a dinasour now. Heck, kids Bounty Hunter starter models probably would kick that one's b*tt.

OP
OP
K

king tuck

Jul 28, 2008
Thanks for everyone help. Have contacted Garrett in Texas and ordered replacement part.
Will give a tryout and see how things work.
Have plans on purchasing a Tesoro Silver Umax in near future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread