ID this detector from Photo! Help please.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax

Attachments

• MD.jpg
    MD.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a whites Don't know Model
But coil is on Backwards :P

OP
OP
JasonB

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
I saw that :)

I thought maybe the shaft wasn't locked out and had rotated around.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is a older Whites. Coil is on backwards as Jeff says.

There are lots better detectors out there now used at near the same price and you can get a new one for a couple bucks more.

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
It's tough to see the model# from the pic.
It's probably one that requires fast motion to get 4" deep.
However...............offer $80-100. cash. If it works it would be worth that.

Remember, used Compadres are $100 & they are lightweight........see ya mark

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a left-handed coil.....( snicker) TTC

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
It looks like the Whites 4900 DL Max. Take the meter off the Whites 5900 and you have the 4900. Same performance and depth as the 5900 and 6000. I'll take it if you don't want it.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
If these old machines work like new they're worth up to about $100. My experience has been many of these old timers have issues so check it out first. They're not worth paying someone to repair them.

A mint used Tesoro Silver uMax for $170 shipped would be a much better way to start. And any repairs needed are free.

crazyman

Nov 6, 2005
Indianola, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Minelab Advantage
These older models will hold their own against the majority of newer detectors. Just because it's newer technology doesn't always mean it's better. In the case of the 4900 DL along with the 5900/6000 SL's it has some features not found on many detectors. One is the TR mode. If you have mild ground this mode will slice thru trash with good depth like no other detector. The discrimination in this mode is second to none. In more mineralized ground you will loose some depth in this mode. Second is the hot rock accept/reject mode. It's the same as the + 95 setting on the XLT and under certain conditions and with knowledge on how to use it in bad ground will beat many of the newer depth demons on old coins. Third is the signal balance control. This is a true gain control on these models and gives you better control on adjusting the detector to get the best depth in all ground conditions. One drawback to these 4 filter detectors is that they need a fast sweep speed to get best discrimination and depth but the filtering on these will work better and get better depth in bad ground.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Can't tell from the pic what it is for sure but find out what it is and what year it is. $125 is a little much for what may be a klunker. Doesn't quite look like a White to me. And yes the coil is on backwards which leads one to wonder what else is on backwards. Find out id it's a BfO-TR- or what.

Bill

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Uncle Willy said:
Can't tell from the pic what it is for sure but find out what it is and what year it is. $125 is a little much for what may be a klunker. Doesn't quite look like a White to me. And yes the coil is on backwards which leads one to wonder what else is on backwards. Find out id it's a BfO-TR- or what.

Bill

I'm not sure how familiar you are with metal detectors, but this is instantly recognizable as a White's by anyone familiar with them and is way too recent (mid-90's) to be a BFO.

The White's GEB detectors are definitely not klunkers and these models also include an excellent TR discriminator mode for those times when ground conditions are moderate and/or you have flat grass to work on. TR discriminators are silent for junk.

Check Ebay for what 4900/5900/6000 detectors are going for these days. These older beasts are still desirable to some THer's.

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread