Class Ring going Home after almost 40 years!

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
I am so excited I have to tell this story.

About 5 years ago I was detecting at a little country church outside of Durant and found a class ring. It was a ladies Durant HS class of 1970 10K ring. Had the initials KJM engraved inside. I thought returning it should be fairly simple. I had a friend who was in that class and got his annual and found that there was only one girl in the class with those initials. My friend did not know her (class of about 150). Since then I have tried several searches but as you know, women get married and names change, and all I knew was a maiden name.

I was looking at some of my jewelry finds a few days ago and saw the ring and decided to try again. This afternoon I went to the Classmates website, where I have checked in the past, and searched on the name I had and she had registered! Now I had a current last name. When my wife got home I told her and we got online and checked the tax rolls. (Wife is Co. Treasurer). It showed her and current husband in OK City. My wife says "I know who that is." She gives me her previous married name, that we both knew.

I have had this ring for all these years and actually knew the lady who lost it.

We called the lady's daughter who still lives here and confirmed that the maiden name was right, and tomorrow the daughter is going to pick it up at my wife's office.

You just never know how things will turn out when you turn on a detector.

HH all

Old_Okie

Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG...fantastic story and great thing you did. I'm sure it will bring you lots of luck for the good deed. Keep it up..HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is especially nice when these long lost items find their way to their previous owners. Nice job...... :thumbsup:

One of my women classmates had lost her class ring the second day she received it. It is supposed to be off this dock on a lake near the old high school. I haven't found it yet.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, Okie! :icon_king: I'm sure she's gonna be so happy to have it back! :)

You two did good! :thumbsup:

Nana :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool story Okie.

Let us know when She picked it up.

I would like to know How she reacted seeing it.

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
I found a 1903 pocket watch with the the ingraving" to my beloved son****** Hawkins" in the back cover, I would love to give it back to the person who lost it or kin, but have no idea and probably wont be able to,but nice story

Zym

Jan 19, 2007
Gig Harbor WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend ( 6", 11", and 13x13.5" coils)
Ancient Garret Groundhog AM-2
I wish I was able to see the look on her face when she sees it for the first time again. Congratz on the hard work you did tracking her down, and on doing the right thing. The MD Gods will reward you for it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did she ever show up ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread