WheelChair bound looking for ideas

izzitcat

May 13, 2008
Louisville,Ky.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger/White's Classic5ID
Re: WheelChair bound looking for idea's

My son is in a wheelchair he has cp. Do you have an electric chair? I'm sure some kind of modifications can be made. Don't know what yet but I'll be giving it some thought. Digging and retrieving will mbe the biggest challenge. I'll have to think on it for a spell.

Izzitcat

OP
OP
T

ttspecial1

Aug 21, 2008

I have a rigid chair. Very light weight 32lbs.

:-)

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

In terms of places to detect, many of the commonly hunted sites such as parks, playgrounds, schoolyards, private yards, ballfields etc should be quite accessible for you.
I believe I saw something on Garrett's website a while back about them setting up a disabled person with a rig
I would suggest calling Garrett, White's, Tesoro, and Minelab and asking them for information on what sort of equipment they could supply you with
Good luck!

OP
OP
T

ttspecial1

Aug 21, 2008

Thank you very much. I will check that out asap....

XT18000

May 26, 2008

Just a thought but maybe::::::: a swinging bracket off to one side for the
detector ( Garrett ace 250 ?? )
Recovery tool idea:::::::: also a swining bracket on other side some what like
the kind a gardner use's to plant bulb's with but with a slide hammer on it
to make it go a deep as needed ( 6 or 8 in.s ) able to wiggle sideway's a little
to allow it to break plug loose. May not be the whole answer but might get some
other's thinking. COME ON GUY'S let's see if we are as smart as we like to say
we are. Here's a person that can really use a helping hand so let's give it to him.
You can send me a PM if you want.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hi because of my condition this post caught my eye. In the hospital i met this dude that bought an electric chair from Pep Boys automotive for $350. It would be good for grass and hard surfaces but in dirt i dont know...aa

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There have been a few articles in W&E Treasures during the last decade and a half written by wheelchair-bound detectorists. I'd drop Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine an e-mail and ask them if they can put you in touch with one of the authors.

Regards,

Buckleboy

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others

It all depends on where you are able to dig. It's not easy to dig in hardpan - even for a muscular professional wrestler, so if getting out of a wc to dig is a problem - then you will need to be searching in loose soil or loose sand for sure. With that in mind the Ace 150 or 250 are OUT! Garrett DOES NOT reccomend them for use in beach hunting, not at all, and they need to be swung a bit too hard for most practical purposes.

The Tesoro Compadre is the most often rented detector out there. It is fool-proof and gets rave reviews, and some rentals only handle the Compadre because it's so light and works very well, even on high iron/salt beaches. It is SUPER lightweight and you can swing it at a snail's pace with still excellent success. The next one up the list (the Silver uMax) does get a bit better depth though and is also a slow-swinger, and weighs about the same as the Compadre. It costs a little more $$ though. With either of these detectors - hit the beaches or the sawdust and wood chips playgrounds. A long-handled scoop will serve you very well. I saw a man in a wc doing this very thing once - and he had a serious smile on his face too.

BTW, lately I've been hitting the fringes of the sawdust playgrounds and finding more old pennies, etc than just about anywhere else lately.

Good luck to you.

EasyMoney

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have a friend that is missing a leg and he detects. He does not wear a prosthetic so he uses a crutch to balance. His other favorite treasure hunting is bottle digging. I have probed holes before and then get the hole started. Once we are in the pay dirt he will get in the hole and does really well.

I am not sure if metal detecting is the only hunting you want to do, but there is a possibility that there is another aspect of treasure hunting that you could really get into.

Just another thought.

S

stefen

ttspecial1 said:
Im very active and do everything in life all on my own. My wheelchair is light weight so it really doesnt get in my way. Was wondering if anyone had any idea's on what would be a easy way for me to MD?

Thank you for your time.

A great amount of my design work incorporates accessibility issues, so without a doubt you will be hampered with extreme limitations within this hobby, most of which are not readily solveable.

Although you may be able to facilitate the MD unit, and not knowing your physical limitations within your wheelchair, your biggest problem will be digging...to any great depth...leaning forward and down...limits of reach...arm and hand power (or weaknesses). It may be that you will need a companion(s) to assist in some of these tasks.

Just had a brain fart...and without being flippant...there may be a digging device similar to a Sanddigger (Super Scoop) that's made by Miracle Playground Equipment which could be designed and fitted to the front of the chair and would work in a similar manner as a hand-operated backhoe.

Worth exploring.

I'm sure that you will get some great advice from this board.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I haven't seen it done, but my friend told me about a guy he used to see detecting from a wheelchair from time to time. He would go down the old sidewalks and hunt the strips between the road and sidewalk.

The sidewalk gave him a level surface, and I bet there is some way for you to dig with a longer tool and then maybe a little grabber to retrieve the target.

My friend did say though that they guy was always finding old coins.

It is definitely doable and good luck! :)

miamidave

Aug 23, 2008
hollywood
Detector(s) used
recon pro

for what its worth Ive got an Idea for digging but it would take alot of upper-body strength.
you could cut down a pair of post-hole diggers no deeper than you would be going you wouldent have to really wail on them to get a hole 6 or 7 inches deep and 6 inches around you could cut down a garden hoe to fill the holes in People might have a cow if you did that at a park or a golf course but in the woods or on the beach who would care? as to your chair with out really thinking about it images of wide tires and electric helper motors like they use on e-bikes come to mind.
Ive seen really cool chairs around here that have track on them just like a bulldozer and these guys go anywhere on them
wish you best of luck

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT

If still interested in modifying a wheel chair for detecting, contact "Golden Detectors" in Golden, Colorado. There is a lady who is wheel bound and has a White's detector modified. Give them a call for ideas.

49er

Attachments

• remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 453
  • remvet.jpg
    remvet.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 451

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI

How about having someone that welds, make a plug cutter type device that could be driven into the ground with a slide weight/hammer and have a light weight cable attached that could retrieve the pluge once it is cut? As to a detector, perhaps a coil could be mounted on a carbon fiber type of frame with remote control box?

This could be a real industry for someone with some knowledge and skills.

Please keep us informed and updated as to what you are able to work out???

Mike

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

:coffee2: :thumbsup: STARBUCKS! GOOD to see yer interested; MY guess is to see you travel with someone else, who can "dig" with you. I work with "wounded warriors" (vets with a disability), DAV, PVA, etc. AND! encourage them to RESEARCH "sites" of interest, FIRST. SECONDLY, to KNOW FED, STATE, COUNTY/CITY laws re. MDing, etc. IF... caught doing illegal stuff... they WILL take away yer stuff... even if, DISABLED. THIRDLY, get out there, and have FUN! ANYWAY!! Wife & I are members of V.V.A. # 196 (Vietnam Veterans of America).;D

Old Fart in TN

Nov 27, 2005
Athens Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab

I followed a link one time from Keith ? web site that had a wheelchair bound treasure hunter that had posted a few pics of mods he had done. I do not remember where I found the site. At my age and health I don't think its the prize but the adventure of the hunt in the great out doors that makes me feel good even if its just the tot lot. I hope everyone is having a safe weekend. Jeff

found the link http://www.wwats.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=XForum&file=viewthread&tid=245

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

;D That WC you have is a "sports" model; keep doing P.T. to strengthen "upper arms"; I played WC basketball, once; and those GUYS could MOVE! Wherever you are, get referred to your state Dept. of Rehab. Services or Vocational Rehab. Services, and get Rehabilitation Engineers to modify your WC... OR, get a HEAVIER WC to travel in "tougher terrain". THEY usually will pay for it. You can ALSO hunt in a WC, go skiing, go fishing in a WC. Just "google" ACCESSIBLE SPORTS, SPORTS/ACTIVITIES FOR PEOPLE IN WHEELCHAIRS, etc. There are even "vacation books" of accessibles places to go. GOOD LUCK! HH! :)

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005

A digging and probing tool you could make or have made is a three quarter to one-inch piece of dowel two or three feet long ( whatever length would work for you ) with the shaft from a phillips screwdriver mounted in one end and a putty knife blade mounted in the other end.

Just drill a hole in one end and mount the phillips shaft with some epoxy glue and cut a slot in the other end and mount the putty knife blade the same way. This would solve your probing and digging. You didn't elaborate on the extent of your disability and limitations. My wife has MS and is now a bed-ridden quadriplegic so I have been through the gamut of all stages of disability.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread