Minelab XS Explorer repair needed!!!!

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Today I had to replace the headphone jack on my Explorer XS, which essentially required a trip up to Radio Shack to buy a new jack and some solder. The repair went smoothly and I successfully tested the jack with headphones prior to 'buttoning' it all back up. However, once I tightened up all the screws I went out in the yard to try it out again. This time when I pressed the power button the screen initially lit up normally but quickly went dead. I put in new batteries and even tried without the headphones but still would not power up or even light up at all. I'm guessing that maybe I shorted something somehow in the process of putting it back together??

Does anyone know the best way to have this unit correctly repaired by Minelab or some other authorized repair service?

Thanks,

Pcolaboy

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are going to have to send it in to Minelab. I doubt if anyone else has the knowledge to do a good repair for you when they don't even know how the Explorer works.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Just replacing a headphone jack shouldn't have caused such serious problems.

My guess is there was either something wrong with your solder connections or you messed something up by opening it up and closing it.

Make sure your solder job isn't cold or touching another joint. Did you install the correct jack?

Or like Sandman wrote, better send it back.

Badger

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Michigan Badger said:
Just replacing a headphone jack shouldn't have caused such serious problems.

My guess is there was either something wrong with your solder connections or you messed something up by opening it up and closing it.

Make sure your solder job isn't cold or touching another joint. Did you install the correct jack?

Or like Sandman wrote, better send it back.

Badger

i agree. make sure you didnt drip solder onto the PC board causing a short somewhere. also check all of the solder joints and make sure they are sound. it could also be a broken or "cold" solder joint. other than those things call Minelab directly.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
And the only people that can repair Minelab is Minelab...For Minelab will not sell parts to anyone for there detectors.And will not let any one have any of thier schematic for their detectors....

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
I did that to mine pcola ,i didnt replace the jack but just spliced the wires together from the headphones to the machine...I think you may have arc the wire on the side of the battery pack....Its a very tight fit and easy to do.... Mine is still working great .Hope you get it back soon :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread