How to ask permission to md on private land?

rolfecat

Jul 22, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm a newbie and was wondering the best words to use when asking to md on private property? And what to do if the owner says they want to keep whatever I find? Does this ever happen? Or ever "split" the findings 50/50 ? What if you can't locate the owner (on a large tract of land) or have no idea who the owner is? Sorry for all the questions, but I figure you guys would know.
Thanks!
-Rolfecat

Upvote 0

da Hobo

May 6, 2005
Northern Illinois
Hmmm . . .

Everyone has their own and different views on this but here are a few of my ideas and comments on this subject.

1) Never start off by saying "I want to Treasure hunt or look for buried treasure" . . . to me that automatically attaches a higher than normal value to what you are looking for. I use the terms "metal detect" or say 'I want to look for relics possibly from the 1800's or early 1900's, anyhing to do with history." That way the property owner has to attach his value to what you are looking for.

2) The split . . . . a real tough one. Sometimes you may . . . . more often I pass on the property. However, I always tell them that if I find something of their personal or family property I would return it to them.

3) You can usually find the owner of property, even large property, at the local courthouse but it takes some time and effort. You might try the neighbor to the property and maybe get a name or contact for the property you are interested in. Permission for MDing on private property has always been a tough area. At least when you find the owner try to look sharp, be friendly, explain how you will work on their property, maybe give a small demo and then except their decision with a smile and a thank you. If you do these things and their answer is no at least you have a chance for a second chance at a later date. Maybe they'll decide differently later.

Those are just my ideas on it.

Hobo

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Hobos got er down.....with an emphesis on "return personal property".It gets people thinking of things they may have lost or that Mom or dad or grandma or grandpa may have lost.(Makes them want you to look).Also , if you have returned any personal items...relate those storys...that,ll put you in a good light with them.
Another thing I might add ....dont concentrate on a persons yard...thats probably the last place youll get permission to hunt. Instead , ask if there is any place on thier property that you may poke around.Maybe outbuildings or even farmfield entrances.If you get to know the people a little ...the yard will come.
Most importantly....always be over-respectful of the property owners and thier land.Become a proffesional at leaving no sign you were there.(practice in your own yard first)....H.H....JO

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I might add,if you don't get permission.Tell them thank you very much for your time and leave them your name and number and tell them if they or any of thier friends or family ever require your services to find a lost item,give you a call.That way in case they do happen to change thier mind they have your contact info..Just a thought and it worked once for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread