Mod for ACE 250 Audio

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
There seems to be a lot of postings about the audio level coming out of the Ace 250 from Garrett, with good reason. Unless you've been listening to Led Zeppelin at full volume for the past 20 years, you have probably come to the conclusion that a level control is a must for this MD. This is my experience with toning down the dings from this machine. BTW, I'm a tech.

I removed the case from my 250 in the hopes of installing a volume control on the unit itself. It's very crowded inside and a control of standard size just won't fit (most are the size of 6 or 7 dimes stacked together). Also, the jack is mounted directly on the circuit board, making a mod that much more difficult. An external control would look like a 4-year-old did the work.
So, a change to an existing pair of headphones is the answer. I had been using a pair of Sony headphones that have an impedance of 32 ohms that I had already shortened the cable on and changed the 1/4 inch plug; adding resistance will bring the volume down. I experimented and found that a resistor value of about 1000 ohms works well. Yes, this a lot of additional resistance, but it was necessary for a comfortable listening level.
It should be noted at this point that MDs don't have stereo output; it is 2 channel from a mono source. On a pair of headphones the 1/4 inch plug in often referred to as 'ring, tip, sleave'--the right channel is connected to the tip of the plug, the left channel is the ring (center contact) and both channels are common grounded to the sleave. The Ace 250 DOES NOT use this arrangement; it uses ouput to the ring and tip (left and right) only--this means the headphone speakers are in series. It also means they are out of phase, but considering the frequencies used, it doesn't matter.
I added the resistor (1/2 watt) between the 2 shield wires of the headphone, and put it inside the new 1/4 inch plug. BTW, I used a right angle plug as this will take a little of the tension off the cable. Now, this pair of phones is dedicated to the Ace 250, as they probably won't work correctly on other MDs that use a standard common ground. Most headphones will use a molded plug; don't bother cutting these apart to repair or re-use them--just replace the plug (make sure you get a stereo plug, not mono). There seems to be no standard for the impedance of headphones; I've seen as low as 8 ohms, and higher than 2500 ohms--this will make a difference in the volume level when a series resistance is added, so experimenting will be necessary. It would be nicer to have a true volume control, but the output of the 250 is fairly constant and the mod I tried worked well for me on my last hunt.

OP
OP
J

Johnnysan

Jan 3, 2009
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5-ID / Garrett Ace 250
Well, my first impulse is to say 'So what?'
His modification completely eliminates the 1/4 inch jack, so you can never use headphones. I don't know about you, but I rarely use the internal speaker. Also, he used a piece of solder to jumper the circuit board where the jack used to be--real techs don't do that. Like I said in my post, there is very little room inside the 250 housing.
I used 32 ohm headphones, and installing a 1k resistor in series gets the volume down to a comfortable level for me--your results will probably be different, as all phones will produce vastly different sound pressure levels. You could also put a control 'in-line' with the headphone jack, but you would need a plug and jack in addition to the headphones (too bulky IMO), or cut the cable (this would look messy).My modification does nothing to the original unit, so mine is still under warranty--his is not. I usually pick up headphones at estate sales for next to nothing, so making one a dedicated phone for the Ace 250 is not a problem.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I have done many mods to the 250. Since I use headphones 95% of the time the speaker is a non issue for me. There is plenty of room to place a mini pot in series with one speaker wire. Just leave the factory jack alone.
I think there may be other places to mount the pots but here are two of them. This was my attempt at adding an adjustable GB and threshold to the 250. It didn't work because all it did was adjust the TID. The one picture is the Radio Shack wireless 33-1253 headphones that I adapted. The headphone died after a year. But worked great when they worked. The trigger is pinpoint.

Attachments

• DSCF1015.JPG
    DSCF1015.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,391
  • DSCF1021.JPG
    DSCF1021.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,694
  • DSCF1474.JPG
    DSCF1474.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,379
  • DSCF1018.JPG
    DSCF1018.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 2,605
  • DSCF1019.JPG
    DSCF1019.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,081
  • DSCF1015.JPG
    DSCF1015.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,240
  • DSCF1021.JPG
    DSCF1021.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • DSCF1474.JPG
    DSCF1474.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,460
  • DSCF1025.JPG
    DSCF1025.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 1,322

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
khouse said:
I have done many mods to the 250. Since I use headphones 95% of the time the speaker is a non issue for me. There is plenty of room to place a mini pot in series with one speaker wire. Just leave the factory jack alone.
I think there may be other places to mount the pots but here are two of them. This was my attempt at adding an adjustable GB and threshold to the 250. It didn't work because all it did was adjust the TID. The one picture is the Radio Shack wireless 33-1253 headphones that I adapted. The headphone died after a year. But worked great when they worked. The trigger is pinpoint.

Ever figure out the ground balance???? Love the trigger mod.... Thanks, Tom

BTW, it is just as easy to use headphones with built in volume controls..

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the all time pinpoint.....how long does it stay on?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions