HOW TO MODERNIZE YOUR OLD METAL DETECTOR.

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
As I eluded to in another post, I'm thinking of enhancing my old Compass Magnum 420 using a pocket pc running a combination of: audio spectrum analyzer, oscilloscope, graphic equalizer and voltage detection software. (This is something that most anyone should be able to do with their old metal detector.) The first two components would be used to monitor and display measurements of the audio output from the metal detectors headphone circuit. As would the graphic equalizer, which would allow for customizing the audio output to only signals that are in the range of the materials being hunted, (like gold, silver, platinum, etc), and blanking out audio from materials that are of no interest, (like iron, or copper). And finally, the other component would be for digitally displaying positive and negative numeric values based on the meter reading.

There isn't a lot of fancy wiring involved in this update. It would mean adding one, or two additional connectors to allow signals to travel from the audio output jack of a metal detector to the microphone input of a pocket pc, (sometimes called a PDA, or Personal Digital Assistant), or even a smartphone equipped with the right software. Then attaching headphones to the pocket pc, instead of connecting your headphones directly to the metal detector itself, the user would be able to enhance the audio output for certain frequency ranges and decrease, or mute others. I'm not an electronics technician and while I've done some programming, there are others that would leave me in the dust when it comes to programming of this type, but there is existing software, (some of it freeware), that could be used as is, or modified to give even better options for "tuning" a metal detectors output and display to provide more precise targeting of a metal detector.

By my way of thinking, the limitations of many older metal detectors could be affordably overcome by using inexpensive and more modern, but still slightly dated technology. There are many different models of pocket pc's available that have more than enough processing power to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Many of these pocket pc's, like some smart phones, run either the Windows Pocket PC, or the Windows Mobile, operating system and have many different software packages available, (not just games).

I hope to find time over the next few weeks to disassemble my pocket pc, (I haven't taken one apart before and don't want to trash it). Hopefully, I'll have more info on how well the idea works by the end of the month and can report back then. I should mention one negative that a person should watch out for when looking to buy a device for this purpose. Some brands and models, including the Dell Axim X5 pocket pc that I use, are not very good for use outside on bright days. I'm looking to use mine to test the feasibility of my idea and if all goes well, I'll find another brand, or model that is better suited to outdoor use.

If anyone reading this has the equipment needed, the talent, the adventurous spirit and the time to do this on their own, don't let me hold you back. (All too often, my best laid plans end up being delayed due to unforeseen circumstances.) I'm way too tired to type anymore tonight as it appoarches 1:00 AM here, so I'll leave this for now and see if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

This is my next day when nearly awake, update:

Ok, so once you have brushed the cobwebs off of your old metal detector, installed new batteries and found one of them new fangled PDA thingamabob's, installed the software found on some weird website and procured some wire to connect them, what next? Now you have some strange looking squiggly lines on your PDA every time you air test some flying gold and wonder how this is going to help in the field? Well, if you luck out and get any sort of indication of a signal telling you there is a difference between dirt, a bar of hand soap, or a gold nugget, then your ahead of the game. Once you know how the software reacts, (what that little signal trace on the display looks like when you wave gold under your detectors nose), you can make note of what it looks like and maybe take a picture of it.

You think, great, now I have a picture, so what? If you already have a vinyl film protector for the screen of your PDA, you can skip a step here, (unless you want a spare, which wouldn't be a bad idea as you'll be sticking stuff to it). Your screen protector on most PDA's and smartphones, is simply a transparent static cling type of vinyl. You can buy the "factory" replacement screen protectors at various places, but don't rush out to buy one just yet.

Here is where the picture you took comes in. You load up your picture in a program like photoshop and use a blank transparent background. Once the picture is cropped to the screen area of your PDA and sized to that same size in inches, centimeters, pixels, or whatever, you can make note of the particular characteristics of the image that indicate a difference between a normal, (non-gold), reading from your software and an indication of gold. You can copy, or trace that portion of the image that is different from the normal display and maybe use lines, or circles and text, indicating, "GOLD HERE", so that when you see future similar indications displayed by the software, you will know that you've found gold again. (Or at least you've found a similar signal, that is causing the same pattern to be displayed on your screen).

Your wondering how this edited picture on your computer screen is going to help you in the wild? Once you have the resized picture, you can edit it and delete portions of it that are of no use to you, so that you only have the parts that indicate that something of potential value has been detected by your machine. There are a variety of ways to do this, but I'm certain that the more talented artsy fartsy, or computer geekish types, here will figure in out. Then comes the tricky part. You get your hands on some "inkjet printable vinyl". You'll need either the "decal" type of adhesive backed transparent vinyl, (commonly used for decals on glass and bumper stickers), and if you don't already have a spare screen protector, you can get the "static cling" type as well. The best brand I'm aware of, is made by http://www.papilio.com Papilio. You can order this stuff off of eBay also, or from a variety of websites, or directly from the manufacturers website through the link above.

Now, you just print the stuff you've retained from your original picture, onto the transparent vinyl and overlay that onto your PDA's screen protector, then apply the screen protector to the screen of your PDA, (doesn't work unless you put it on rightside up). (Don't forget to first spray the printed portion with UV protective spray to prevent fading of the inkjet ink.) So now, the next time your using your detector and the software in your PDA shows a signal that aligns roughly with the portions of the original image that are now on the screen protector, you'll know what it means. :icon_thumright: Dig, man dig! :icon_thumleft:

At least, that's my thoughts on the matter.

Have a nice day!

F.

Yet another update for those who don't know about the capabilities of an audio spectrum analyzer, or what the display looks like. Here are some links:
http://classic.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=9071
http://download.cnet.com/Handheld-Audio-Spectrum-Analyzer/3000-2094_4-10192182.html
I'm sure there are other similar programs for the PDA's and SmartPhones that use a version of Windows Pocket PC, or Windows Mobile at the operating system.
Assorted sound wave files having to do with audio testing for the audio geek:
http://www.pocketpcfreeware.mobi/download-sound-test-files-1-0-3.html

Anyway, that's it for today. Work to do, or no get pay.

F.

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
skypilot02 said:
Really interesting, also thought provoking, Functional. Thank you! Regards, skypilot02

Now if only I could get around to ordering a new battery for my old Axim PDA. What with assorted other projects that need doing here, Xmas and winter in general, there just doesn't seem to be enough of me to go around. Hopefully someone out there has a spare PDA, the basic knowledge of elctronics needed to wire up a mic to the speaker of their MD and the software to needed for this. It may also be possible to connect to the analog readout as an optional, (or additional), souce of input to a PDA using a common digital multimeter to convert from a "general" needle indication of a reading, to a more specific and detailed reading that would be indicated by units of 1000, or more, depending on the brand and model of multimeter.

Regarding a suitable software for this application, I had found some software called "VIRTINS Pocket Spectrum Analyzer", which is for Pocket PC based PDA's and is both a real time oscilloscope and a real time spectrum analyzer. I seem to recall that it retails for about $50.00 but it's been awhile and this is another late night post, so I might be off on the price.

Time to hit the sack. Good luck to anyone that takes the time to attempt this project.

F.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
I know what you mean about having lots to do and little time to do it in! Once again Functional, that is some great information! Many thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: Have A great Christmas and Super New Year! :icon_thumright: Regards, Richard

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
skypilot02 said:
I know what you mean about having lots to do and little time to do it in! Once again Functional, that is some great information! Many thanks for sharing! :thumbsup: Have A great Christmas and Super New Year! :icon_thumright: Regards, Richard

No problem. Sometimes I'm on here late at night, feeling kind of groggy and yammer on about nothing in particular. Other times I manage to come up with something worthwhile.

A happy holiday season and prosperous prospecting in the new year for you and yours. :occasion18: :drunken_smilie:

F.
Listen for the gold calling out to you. A!!! U!!!

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's
I am on at odd hours, also F! :icon_thumright: Now, that's funny! :laughing7: :laughing7: A!!!!! U!!!! Oh man Functional, I blew coffee through my nose!!! I will definitely remember that one!!! I look forward to talking with you again!!! :thumbsup: Until next time, Regards, Richard

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
Functional,

I've got an Axim X5. I believe it has an external headphone jack. If so, no need to hack into it, just wire up an adapter between the MD jack and the PDA jack.

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
joecoin said:
Functional,

I've got an Axim X5. I believe it has an external headphone jack. If so, no need to hack into it, just wire up an adapter between the MD jack and the PDA jack.

I think I was referring to the microphone needing to be wired to the audio output jack of the detector, (mine doesn't have one), but in my delirium I may have messed that up. Right now, I'm sitting here stuffed with turkey with stuff'in and you know how that is. A round of tryptophan for all you readers out there!

I wish I knew of a good programmer out there that was interested in writing some metal detector software using either the Windows Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, or Ubunutu operating system for Linux. Maybe if I ask around in the freeware newsgroups, or in the Ubunutu support website forums next time I'm surfing over that way? So much to do, so little time and such a long a bucket list.....

K.

OP
OP
Functional

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
skypilot02 said:
I am on at odd hours, also F! :icon_thumright: Now, that's funny! :laughing7: :laughing7: A!!!!! U!!!! Oh man Functional, I blew coffee through my nose!!! I will definitely remember that one!!! I look forward to talking with you again!!! :thumbsup: Until next time, Regards, Richard

Coffee through nose would make a good you tube video. :icon_shaking2: :coffee2:

It's Christmas eve and while everyone else's ideal idea for the holiday's was to eat, drink and be merry, mine was to eat and send Mary off to her parents for a few days so I could think. Actually, I needed some quite time, so I borrowed the key's to a buddy's shop so that I could spend the holiday tinkering on a couple of vehicles and a compressor. It's to damn cold to work on engines 'n stuff outside right now and I can't afford a trip to Cabo.

I tend to pop in here once, or twice a week to see what's new. It's a small forum in some way's, depending on what interests a person. See Ya round!

K.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread