How hard would it be to water proof a land detector?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rmptr said:
Yup, that's the way to go... with a purpose built machine.

...Unless you really like foolin' around with stuff !

Best

I bought the waterproofed Sovereign because I got a really good deal on it ($600) builder used brand new Sov GT, $200 Ikelite case, and it came with a WOT coil, 10" BBS coil, a power pack and an Akaline power pack, and charger. and I love the tones of the Sovereign GT, and becasue it is a Minelab, it nulls on iron and has more option then the Excal. I have been very happy with it's performance in the water as well...I would not waterproof just any detector, but could not pass up the custom waterproofed Sovereign GT. :icon_thumright: I now have 3 water detectors, so even if Murphys law bites me in the butt , I should still have at least one water detector to hunt with this year.... ;D

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
rmptr said:
Yup, that's the way to go... with a purpose built machine.

...Unless you really like foolin' around with stuff !

Best

I bought the waterproofed Sovereign because I got a really good deal on it ($600) builder used brand new Sov GT, $200 Ikelite case, and it came with a WOT coil, 10" BBS coil, a power pack and an Akaline power pack, and charger. and I love the tones of the Sovereign GT, and becasue it is a Minelab, it nulls on iron and has more option then the Excal. I have been very happy with it's performance in the water as well...I would not waterproof just any detector, but could not pass up the custom waterproofed Sovereign GT. :icon_thumright: I now have 3 water detectors, so even if Murphys law bites me in the butt , I should still have at least one water detector to hunt with this year.... ;D

My problem is, every time I try to modify something I end up making a mess of it. I really would like to try it though, because I only hunt in fresh water and the Tesoro is light. Plus I want good discrimination.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not attempt to waterproof my own, don't want to take the chance with an $800 detector, maybe a cheap used one, but for sure not an expensive one.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were to waterproof a cheap detector, I'd have to go with a Classic. It's been the best low cost detector I've had that will handle wet sand at the beach. I tried it in brackish water of the sound without any trouble too. I don't know how well it would do in the surf.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking of a Tesoro Compadre, BUT it has a solid enclosed coil. Will that coil be bouyant? Will it have to be weighted?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread