Shrink wrap environmental covers for your machines!!

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I got tired of not seeing the display on my machines. So I got an idea of using a heavy duty shrink wrap bag. They are cheap on ebay and I figured it was worth a try. I purchased several 8x12 bags. I saw where there are two types of materials used. There are PVC bags as well as POF bags. They say the POF bags are more durable and softer. Both types shrink 40%. I did some experiments on bag sizes and decided the 8 inch wide bags would be best. These bags come 12 inches long. I don't know which material is going to be best yet. But today my PVC bags came in. I saw where I needed to cut the bag 7 inches long. Then I pulled the bag down tight and taped both sides together under the bottom of the control box. Then I got my heat gun out and set it to 300 degrees F. I started on the back in the center making the front more tight from the back. Then I moved around the sides and top and finally the front. These bags shrink very fast and the machine didn't get hot. I took it out in the sun and the clarity is super. If you want you can cut your regular cover out where the screen is and have extra protection. I have already done this and it works fine. I'm sure this will work with the ctx3030 too. Heck it works on my xterra. You just have to cut a flap for the headphones and then run some clear tape around the cut out for some added strength. Some machines may require a different size bag? But I'm sure this will solve a lot of problems. One of the pictures shows me pealing the wrap off on my first try. You can use a hair dryer if you don't have a heat gun.
PS: I'll let you know how the POF bags work when I get them....
Update: I tried both types of bags and the PVC bags are way better. I've now had mine on for 5 months and is just now ready to be replaced. The PVC bags are very durable.
P6120303.jpg

P6120304.jpg

P6120305.jpg

P6120306.jpg

P6120307-1.jpg

Last edited:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats one awesome idea...great job there.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I still have the same bag on it from these pictures 1.75 months ago. It's went through several hunts and still looks good.

freddy williams

Oct 9, 2010
Alabama/ Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI-2500, Whites V3, xplorer XS Cortes & XLT Cibola Tesoro Tiger shark Now using a Xterra 705, Ace 350...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okey everybody food for thought here, Yeh it is an awsome idea but the vent holes in the back are there for a reason. just my opinion I don't want anyone ruining a 300 to 3000 dollar machine cause they covered the vent on there detector. Now I maybe wrong who knows

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Those are not vent holes they are speaker holes. The speaker itself is sealed to the housing too. There is no vent holes on the machine. There are no vent holes on the waterproof 3030 either. None are needed. If anyone is concerned they can simply poke some holes in the cover. But the bottom isn't sealed up anyway and I see no need to vent anything.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Khouse, very good idea so I tried it with the POF bags

The bags are so thin that when they are shrunk, ruptures appear in the skin. I have done 8 bags so far and have the same results. BTW, I am very careful not to overheat as I thought thats what I did on the first bag. After it cools its very tough and flexible but the ruptures in the skin have been in bad locations so the end results have been unusable. I finally got one to shrink without tears but it has wrinkles in the face so it doesn't look as nice as your job. Based on the difficulty of the thin POF bags I ordered, I wouldn't recommend them. Pic-1 shows the wrinkles, Pic-2 shows a small rupture that occurs when the bag is stretching taut.

My question to Khouse: Do the PVC bags have the same problem? I will order PVC if I can expect the same results as you have shown in your post.

Attachments

• IMG_0511 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0511 (Medium).JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0512 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0512 (Medium).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly recommend vent holes or condensation could become a problem on any detector that isnt waterproof...

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Khouse, very good idea so I tried it with the POF bags

The bags are so thin that when they are shrunk, ruptures appear in the skin. I have done 8 bags so far and have the same results. BTW, I am very careful not to overheat as I thought thats what I did on the first bag. After it cools its very tough and flexible but the ruptures in the skin have been in bad locations so the end results have been unusable. I finally got one to shrink without tears but it has wrinkles in the face so it doesn't look as nice as your job. Based on the difficulty of the thin POF bags I ordered, I wouldn't recommend them. Pic-1 shows the wrinkles, Pic-2 shows a small rupture that occurs when the bag is stretching taut.

My question to Khouse: Do the PVC bags have the same problem? I will order PVC if I can expect the same results as you have shown in your post.

I should have posted back about the bags. The POF bags suck. But the PVC bags rock! I've had my PVC bag on for 5 months. I'm about ready to change it out. It is very durable and stays clear. I'll make a video on the removal and installation of the bags.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I highly recommend vent holes or condensation could become a problem on any detector that isnt waterproof...
I have had no issues with condensation after 5 months. The bottom of the bags are not sealed so there is some circulation. But there is nothing keeping you from punching vent holes if you feel the need?

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older Minelab Explorer XP I use most of the time and I'm sure this idea would work great on it, but I also have an Ace 350 for a back up. just wondering how that might work? The box on the Ace is not a flat screen like the Minelab, plus I guess I would have to take the shrink wrap off to change the batteries. I also Have a Fisher Gold Bug That has Knobs plus the batteries are on the back side of it. That would mean taking the knobs off to put the shrink wrap on, then puting them back on afterward. I guesss I could cut along the door for the battery compartment to make it work. any ideas or suggestions?

Lownslow

Dec 22, 2008
Hot Springs, Ar
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold, Minelab Explorer XS/Sunray Pin Pointer, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher Gemini III Two Box, Leche digging tool, Samson ball handel shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I said I have an Explorer XP It's an Explorer XS.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is really an smart and cost effective way to protect your detector! I would have tried it except I just ordered a protector for my Etrac...

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Because of the way the Ace buttons are and the know on your GB - I don't think it would work very well.

Also - I had several covers for my etrac trying to find one without glare. Some were better than others. But with the shrink wrap there is no glare. The screen is easy to see.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Khouse, I have been using the PVC on my Deus. While its not perfect, its better than the adhesive backed control cover sent with the unit.
Its great for keeping the dirt out of the control box and off the face of it. A 200 gauge bag would be ideal but all I found were the 100 ga.
Thanks for the great post!

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
I've had the same bag on my etrac since I started this thread. I got a tear on the back which I repaired with clear tape. This thing is great. I'm going to make a video on the removal and installation of the bag soon. Glad it's working out for your Deus

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what specifically does one have to look for to order these PVC bags, just looking for some specifics because I thought I might try this at some point.
I've had the same bag on my etrac since I started this thread. I got a tear on the back which I repaired with clear tape. This thing is great. I'm going to make a video on the removal and installation of the bag soon. Glad it's working out for your Deus

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
So what specifically does one have to look for to order these PVC bags, just looking for some specifics because I thought I might try this at some point.

I found them on ebay. Look for pvc heat shrink 8x12 bags. Once you get the bags you'll need to cut it off to about 7 inches to fit an etrac. If you have another type machine simply make a paper bag that will slip over your machine. Then find the pvc bag that will work.
I've had mine on for almost a year. It tore a time or two but clear tape fixed it right up. I have another 49 bags in my inventory when I go to change it out. They last a long time.
50 8"x12" PVC Shrink Wrap Bags Sale | eBay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread