8 AA cell Tesoro operating regulated voltage

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
I have two Tesoro machines, both operate on 8 cell AA batteries. One is a Sand Shark with removable coil, the other a 2012 Tejon.

I was wanting to convert both machines to Li-Po batteries but question if the Li-Po 3 cell at 11.1 volts will be adequate.

So the question is, do these machines run a voltage regulator and out of curiosity, does anyone know what the regulated would output would be.

PK

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a call to Tesoro would give you the right answer....Couple years ago Tesoro told me to not use rechargables in my Tiger Shark but things and batteries have changed since then.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Most regulators are upper limit devices. 8 cells would have a 12V regulator. My best guess. Frank hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The voltage regulator has to be set way under 12 volts otherwise the detector wouldn't work with batteries that aren't 100% charged. The 3s lipo will work just fine since fully charged it gives you about 12.5 volts just be sure to use some kind of alarm for low voltage. I made a video on how to make a lipo battery for the whites detectors check it out, it might give you some tips. Mine works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
JKPK1

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
The voltage regulator has to be set way under 12 volts otherwise the detector wouldn't work with batteries that aren't 100% charged. The 3s lipo will work just fine since fully charged it gives you about 12.5 volts just be sure to use some kind of alarm for low voltage. I made a video on how to make a lipo battery for the whites detectors check it out, it might give you some tips. Mine works like a charm.

Found it and watched. Very nice.

Your Whites in comparison to the Tesoro allowed you to use the battery case, since that is the style. The Tesoro uses battery holders, which are "dropped into" the detectors actual housing / case.

Electrically it all makes perfect sense, stuffing a 3s lipo into the space of 4AA batteries and having good amount of MaH has been a hang up. I could split the batteries as they are in the Tejon, 4AA per side. making the Lipo a 2s on one side and a 1s on the other.

Fitting Lipo to the SandShark would be easier since it does utilize an 8AA battery holder. The problem though is this holder nests into the machine for security and contact.

Again, you Whites design welcomed the Lipo more easily.

When you detect, how readily can you hear the alarm? With headphones on, the alarm buried internally, is the alarm still obviously noticed?

Thanks
PK

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh you can hear that alarm very well, also its an alarm that will start to beep when the battery drops to 9.9 volts so you can still detect. The battery takes a very long time to discharge so let's say the battery went to 9.9 volts and the alarm starts, to reach the critical battery voltage that is about 9 volts it will take about an hour or more, now I know that in that time, even if distracted you will be able to notice the alarm. The strength of it inside the detector is a bit stronger than a watch alarm.
Just be sure that the detector works at 12v, because in a single battery pack is easy to understand but say you have two packs, it might also work at 6 volts or might be like one pack powers part of the circuit and the other pack does the rest. Point is you really need to make sure before.
Good luck with the mod, it's very easy actually and I know that many users can do it if they are careful.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The voltage regulator chips I have used like the 7812 for 12VDC voltage limit will pass 12VDC or lower voltages, but not voltages over 12VDC.

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
call Tesoro, I know they will say "no". My batteries last a long time and I always carry spares, and I always change every battery when it needs batteries, in fact when it starts beeping three times I am starting to think about changing the batteries, so would not even consider Lipo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread