Tejon Balance (Center of Gravity) adjustments???

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
First off, really like the machine. As I read here and elsewhere, it can be a handful of setup to obtain optimum performance. So, now that I have come to terms with setup, searching and use, I have a few longer duration hunts with the machine.

What I found is that the machine is technically lightweight, has battery placement (8AA) at the aft end of the rod, and yet the detector still gets a bit nose heavy with use. Not bad, but enough to let you know it does not defy gravity.

To help, I accidentally broke the scuff while attempting to remove it. I planned to be done for the day and wanted to leave the sand at the beach. Heading home, I decided to hit a few sand volleyball courts. I spent some time there, in soft sand so no abrasion occurred, and hunted with the scuff removed. The change in CG was obvious.

Got home and ordered a new scuff. Began considering ways to dial in the CG. As a competitor in other hobbies / sports, I don't want to add weight if possible. I was even considering going to Eneloops or lighter still Li-PO batteries to lighten the entire machine. Problem is, this will change CG more towards the coil.

I did compare the Tejon to the Sand Shark and brought the lower rod shorter by one hole, matching the SS. I'll see how it feels, but since this is not in the water, I feel on top of the coil with the shortened rod.

Still though, the Sand Shark, with electronics mounted aft and near the arm cuff, will balance, when in the "as used position" on your pointer finger at the handgrip. The Tejon, is not even close. The Tejon is nose heavy. This is obviously why it felt better with the scuff removed.

I saw this topic about modding a Garrett Ace 250. It does add weight, but moves the arm cuff also.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detector-modifications/176952-ace-250-150-modification.html

Just tossing it out for some ideas. Yes I'm sure someone will say toughen up, or hit the gym. Any ideas of how to move the batteries aft adding little weight, or moving weight aft in general.

PK

Boilermaker27

Oct 16, 2003
St. Louis
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon/Minelab Safari/Minelab Excalibur2
wow, I have never heard anyone complain about the weight of a Tejon. I am 66 years old and get out and hunt for civil war relics for hours on end and I never have any problem with weight. I really don't understand about moving the batteries aft? They really can't get much further back on the machine than where they are now. You need a Minelab to see what a real workout is all about. My Minelab Explorer is awful out of the water, rips your arm off.

OP
OP
JKPK1

JKPK1

Sep 27, 2009
Florida
Agree it's not a total weight issue. In fact the effort to deal with the forward balance is minor.

Moving the batteries aft would shift the balance point closer to the pointer finger in the shafts "S" bend. Making an already good setup even better.

PK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread