DSCF1072.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 3,616

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
When you say lock it forward for pinpoint or true all metal hunting, does this mean that the pinpoint will remain on without pressing anything and you can basically sort of go into an almost no motion mode? Anyhow, any information or link to this mod? Is it an easy or hard modification to perform?

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Yes, the toggle is 3 position exactly like the Whites machines. Momentary on when pulled. Then when you release your finger it snaps back to off. Then if you want to lock it on just flip it forward and it stays there until you pull it back to off. This way you can lock it forward while passing your soil over the coil on target retrieval. Or if you want to hunt in the true all metal -lock it forward. Like for relic hunting. I have modified my Whites Classics in the past and the 250 is not a do it yourself mod. I believe the toggle will work on just about any push button pinpoint detector brand.
Thanks, Kenny
[email protected]

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i
Ok.. I have to ask.. you gave up a XLT in lieu of an Ace 250? I am looking for a machine for my 9 year old... I have a spectrum and a DFX... and was thinking about getting a Prizm IV for him... but everybody seems to be using an ACE...

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
If your going to stay with Whites then get the P2. Otherwise get another 250 or Tesoro Compadre

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
I played with a Whites Prizm V yesterday and they had the forsight to make the pinpoint button lock itself, hit it one for on, again for off. Smart, very smart. I wish Garrett had been so thoughtful on the Ace 250. Maybe they will come out with a 250A with that feature and possibly add a backlight. Both mods are well worthwhile.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Gen,
All the prizms have that feature. You can lock it in true all metal and hunt that way. But the 250 doesn't have that feature because it's not designed to hunt in true all metal (pinpoint locked on). With the PP button constantly pushed it isn't stable to hunt that way. You have to release and repush the button every 5 to 10 seconds. Unless Garrett makes a software change the pinpoint button won't be locking on. The locking PP button on the Prizms is the only thing it has over the 250. The 250 beats all the prizms with it's true selective notch. The prizms has the smart notch that is factory set. That's not too smart if you ask me. The 250 has more and cheaper coils and cost 212.00

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
Kenny, great idea! I was thinking of doing something like this to my ACE 250 when I can find a cheap Sunray YF-1 probe on ebay. I figured I would have to have a locking pinpoint button/switch so that I could have both hands in the hole.

Personally I like the PP button on the ACE just fine for Pinpointing with the ACE's coil. It's in the perfect location... but for a probe, the momentary PP feature doesn't work well.

Regards!
Rooty

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Rooty,
The best way to use a sunray with a 250 is put it in all metal mode while using the probe.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
khouse said:
Rooty,
The best way to use a sunray with a 250 is put it in all metal mode while using the probe.
Yeah but won't it still require motion past the target and "ding ding ding" instead of give you a variable pitch based on proximity like when it's in PP mode? I've been getting used to how my Sunray X-1 works on my Explorer SE Pro and I love it. You get discrimination and then you can narrow in on the target with the PP mode. I would think if you were not going to use the PP mode, you would just leave discrimination on so you wouldn't be digging nails and other crap.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Rooty,
When the PP button is locked on the tone detunes completely out after about 30 seconds or so. Then you have to retoggle the PP off then on again to get the tone back. The 250 wasn't designed to have the pp button on for too long. The only reason I put the 250 in all metal mode is that sometimes when you open a hole you will loose your target say in coin mode. Your target has just dropped into a disced out zone. But recovering your target in all metal mode you'll always get a beep.

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
That makes a lot of sense! Well I guess you would have a 30 second timer to find the loot. I guess I won't pay too much for the sunray probe on the ace 250 then. I saw one go for $101 on ebay awhile back.

OP
OP
K

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Well the sunray IS hard to beat. But the new Garrett pro pointer may be the thing to have. If I got one I would make a clip or pouch to attach the pro pointer to the Ace 250 shaft. Like right below the control housing. This way it's right there when you need it.

Coinzapper

Dec 7, 2008
Lansford. PA.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Modified, Tesoro Tejon. Garrett 1500, Fisher CoinStrike, Tek G2, tek omega.
Ricardo_NY1 said:
When you say lock it forward for pinpoint or true all metal hunting, does this mean that the pinpoint will remain on without pressing anything and you can basically sort of go into an almost no motion mode? Anyhow, any information or link to this mod? Is it an easy or hard modification to perform?

I did a similar mod on my Tesoro Tejon. I put a switch at the top center of the unit and if you switch it on it goes into a fixed all metal mode and you don't have to hold the finger switch at the bottom. And it also allows me to use my first discrimination knob in any setting I choose with the new all metal mode switch on, so when I find a target in the all metal mode, I'll flick the switch and now I will be checking to see if my signal is still there according to my setting. If it is still there, then I will flick my trigger at the bottom of the unit forward to check my second disc. mode. If the signal is still there, then I dig. The hole reason for the new switch is I don't have to hold the trigger down for long periods of time and I don't have fittle dittle around with my first disc. mode.

Attachments

• 101_1995.JPG
    101_1995.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,478

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kick ass idea....will it last?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions