Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey, recently I've had this idea of linking one coil to 3-4 control boxes on one shaft to make a sort of "super detector". This may include taking the essential electronics out of the plastic boxes and paralleling them into one box, and then separating them with a switch that will allow only one to be active at a time but will still permit display functionality and coil usage. The idea would be to compare signal interpretation and discrimination among the 3-4 types of detecting technologies.

Thoughts?

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds interesting, but kinda big and bulky, what $$ level detectors did you think about using?

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a clue... I'd probably start with low end to test the idea... And I wouldn't have to be bulky bc I'd only mount the electronics inside one plastic box.

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had thought of a similar idea only with multiple coils somehow, but probably impractical or impossible.
Hey, recently I've had this idea of linking one coil to 3-4 control boxes on one shaft to make a sort of "super detector". This may include taking the essential electronics out of the plastic boxes and paralleling them into one box, and then separating them with a switch that will allow only one to be active at a time but will still permit display functionality and coil usage. The idea would be to compare signal interpretation and discrimination among the 3-4 types of detecting technologies.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
cti4sw

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It probably would be impractical to use multiple coils. All coils essentially perform the same function regardless of detection method, so it would make more sense to connect one coil to multiple controllers using a relay of some sort. I wonder if it would be possible to transmit using all three detecting methods at once over different channels or bandwidths. Before anyone can say no, I believe that is how high quality audio (like Bose) works - using multiple audio channels.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if you took, say, Garrett's DD coil, which has a lot of empty space, and you built a second, separate coil type into the ring around the DD's active space, I think your idea of multiple coils COULD be feasible... From what I read, the AT Pro has a frequency adjust feature that allows multiple MDers to hunt close together without interference, so you could run the VLF through the DD and the BFO/PI through the outside on a slightly different frequency.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread