Looking for a highly customizable metal detector

AAnephite

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok there are lots of options in metal detectors as you guys know. I live in Utah and heard minelab detectors are a good option. I want to do prospecting but my wife and kids want to coin and relic hunt. I've looked at the xterra 705 gold pack also the e-trac. I'd love one like the etrac. I just don't wanna pay that much.

I have a background in engineering and computer science. I thought about building one but the part that has me worried is the ergonomics of a home made one. So my next thought is a cheaper one made to preform well and that I can mod to fit my needs.

Also has anyone used a Chinese knock off like the ones on dhgate.

I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions and thanks in advanced for your replies.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Decisions, Decisions

Personally I would stay away from the Chinese Knockoffs regardless of how they seem to work when new!

I would also suggest you post this question in the brands area @ Minelab as that possibly will be a more specific location for quicker answers and better details as you are talking both prospecting as well as coins/jewelry.

Next I would suggest checking local clubs to your location. The folks in clubs are very friendly and will have a very good feel for what detectors are most useful in your area for your desired targets. Understand that all the people at any club you talk to will likely be brand sensitive but you will at least have a better idea if you need a minelab only for your area or if other machines work just fine. This should help you with the price barrier you have.

If you are really good at detector invention, can build coils that really work well shoot, do it and maybe you will make more money selling your detectors??! Other wise I'd purchase a ready built unit that has all the generalizations in it that are related to detecting in all sorts of situations, takes a lot less time and gets you out hunting quicker and yes does reduce the thickness of your wallet. Who knows you could find a $2000.00 value ring in the first week and pay for the detector right then and there. Most likely though if you do that right off the bat you will be cursed with nothing but pull tabs and can slaw for the next three years to make up for the big dollar ring but that's the Karma that just goes along with detecting, :laughing7:. Whatever your choice do enjoy your new family hobby!..........................63bkpkr

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you insist on modifying one I would suggest starting with one from a kit or from a schematic like the ones available here.
Surf Pi 1.2 Kit

I was considering buying a cheap vintage detector from craigslist and gutting it for use as a "case" for a setup like I linked above. I see some rugged looking machines that are going for next to nothing. would be a fun project for the upcoming winter.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
FWIW - I searched and found...

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can customize the whites V3I till our heart is content.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can customize the whites V3I till our heart is content.

phils right i to have the v3i and there is alot of customizing features on here create ur own everything i have alot of luck with whites will stand by there machines customer service is great aswell check out there sight its a nice detector i got it for the same reason i like to customize evrything good luck

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would be very hesitant to open up a 1K dollar+ machine and start tinkering with it myself.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the v3i is a customizing monster wouldnt recommend to many people if it was there first,even if u like the features of customizing there are alot that can be very over whelming, but it is an absolute wonderful detector suites all my needs & then some it just made total sence that this is the one i needed got my types of hunting.could try out the dfx which has cutomizing or even the vx3 which has customizing but alittle more user friendly

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Whites V3i is a great choice - it has multiple custom filter settings, has a prospecting mode and with your computer science background, you can toggle between settings to your liking.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3i is great in that anyone can run it right out of the box with the preset programs without touching a thing, but you can customize it to no end. I went to a custom program on the White's site and am amazed at the difference between it and stock. Every feature can be customized to your liking.

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the OP has made one post, and that is this thread. Doesn't seem like he is around anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread