Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Garrett Ace 350 / Euroace manual Ground Balance mod

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Apr 2015
    CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
    1245 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok thanks for the clarification. Well maybe I wasn't ground balancing correctly, I just wired it up again ... this time it did seem to ground balance correctly in my yard (although it did last time sort of also). The beach is where I had the big problems and ground balancing was impossible and target id went nuts.

I'll try again and let you guys know!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3624.JPG 
Views:	369 
Size:	571.1 KB 
ID:	1194691  
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Aug 02, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
    Rockwerx likes this.
    Minelab Equinox 800,Fisher CZ-21, Excalibur II

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

us
    Aug 2015
    North West Corner of SC, Oconee County
    Garrett ACE 350 (GB Mod) * Tesoro Vaquero * Tesoro Compadre (Sen/GB/Coil Mods) * Bounty Hunter TR500 * Compass Yukon Nugget TR *
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    The process I used to safeguard what I had before I modified the 350 was to check the Ohms of the internal pot for the factory setting. The pot was factory set at 4.5K Ohms. I then new that if something went wrong I would know where to set the pot back. I then took the proper tool to adjust the pot until the detector was ground balanced for my soil. I checked the Ohms at that point and it was 10.1K Ohms. Then I removed the internal pot, and soldered a 10K Ohm (very small) resistor across #2 and #3 attachment points on the board. Went outside and checked ground balance and it was perfectly ground balanced. Then I removed the resistor and installed a 20K Ohm potentiometer on and through the bottom of housing, on the side with the most room. It works great, with no effects to the operation of the other functions of the detector.

I now know, if I want to go to factory settings, that factory setting is 4.5K Ohms. I also can use a 4.7K Ohm resistor, which is the most popular resistor without a special order, in that range and will work. If the potentiometer went bad, in a pinch, I could use a 10K Ohm resistor in it's place for a neutral GB. I could also replace the original potentiometer in it's original place. That is why it's important to know what the Ohms were before you started and what the Ohms are when you are ground balanced for your area.

Keep in mind that these ground balanced Ohms of 10K is for my area and will be different wherever you are detecting.

This was my experience with my Garrett ACE 350 and it works great for me and I am happy with it.
    Try at your own risk.

Thanks everyone,
    Dig-SC
    Rockwerx likes this.

Apr 2015
    1245 times
    Metal Detecting

Good news... my new loaner detector
    Rockwerx likes this.

... waiting to see that elusive dowser on the beach with a bucket of gold rings ...

Apr 2015
    1245 times
    Metal Detecting
    Ok, ground balance does appear to work. I tried ground balancing at the beach and had limited success. No real improvement over wet sand... still massive chatter, pinpointing useless. The Ace is still a great detector for soil or dry sand, but not wet sand even with manual ground balance. So, manual ground balance may give you some extra depth, and may be worth doing. It's still not even close in performance to the AT Pro. It would be far better to just upgrade, but if you can't, then this mod may be worth doing...
    Last edited by flgliderpilot; Aug 03, 2015 at 01:45 AM.
    Rockwerx likes this.

Sep 2013
    4 times
    I'm Glad you got it working as it should...it will not be as good as the ATPro on wet sand, as it does not have the GB range to cover that and will false a lot as it is not designed for that, however on dry beach, or any other condition, the modified 350 is as good as a Pro..whereas when left standard, it suffers badly as soon as ground becomes slightly more mineralized than its preset.

Good luck guys, happy detecting

Sep 2013
    4 times
    Just a tip..when setting your GB, hold the coil up off the ground, press & hold the pinpoint..now, whilst holding the pinpoint (with a constant tone in your ears), bring the coil down to the ground ( don't touch the ground)....if the tone gets louder, keep pressing the pinpoint, whilst turning the GB, all the while pumping the coil up and down (you don't want the tone to go away...if it does, lift the coil and release & press the pinpoint again)

You will see you will get to a point where the pinpoint tone remains constant, even when close to the ground (pumping coil up & down)......this is now correctly GBd for the site you are searching.

If the tone goes away near the ground, you have negatively gBd, and must turn the knob a little back, lift the coil & release/ press the pinpoint to get a constant tone...

This is the correct way to GB with this mod.

Apr 2015
    1245 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by craighkzn View Post
    Just a tip..when setting your GB, hold the coil up off the ground, press & hold the pinpoint..now, whilst holding the pinpoint (with a constant tone in your ears), bring the coil down to the ground ( don't touch the ground)....if the tone gets louder, keep pressing the pinpoint, whilst turning the GB, all the while pumping the coil up and down (you don't want the tone to go away...if it does, lift the coil and release & press the pinpoint again)

You will see you will get to a point where the pinpoint tone remains constant, even when close to the ground (pumping coil up & down)......this is now correctly GBd for the site you are searching.

If the tone goes away near the ground, you have negatively gBd, and must turn the knob a little back, lift the coil & release/ press the pinpoint to get a constant tone...

This is the correct way to GB with this mod.
    THANKS! I didn't understand the first time and was doing it incorrectly. I just tested again and it worked as described.

gb
    Mar 2015

Smile

Just added a 20k L pot but not 100% that board to pot connection is correct, did you take a picture.

The points on board that are the same do they goto 2 or 3 on the POT?

EDIT:

Just changed poles, so the double point on the MD's board is going to 3 on the POT, the single point on the MD's board is going to number 2, looks to be better can hear control on the POT, testing in a field in 2 days, I will report back.

FYI:Here is my location of POT drill hole it it helps.
    NB: this was taken from another video, I just aligned the center to make it simple, if you drill a hole as big as the POT's spindle thread it works perfect, so you don't need a hole the size in the picture

Also my POT was 7 Ohms the other pot was 14 ohms ( UK Euroace) prior to upgrade

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pot1.JPG 
Views:	397 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	1223894

Name:	20151014_103914.jpg 
Views:	2862 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	1223896
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151014_095453.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	1223899  
    Last edited by GARYSMIFF; Oct 17, 2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: POST TESTING

Apr 2015
    1245 times
    Metal Detecting
    Nice, it takes a few tries to understand how to ground balance with this mod but it does seem to work... I have not done any depth comparisons though.

May 2016
    Hello, first of all thank you for posting this. Just added the 20k pot to my ace 350. To clarify, when you are ground balancing using pinpoint. How high off the ground are you first pressing your pinpoint button? Do you want the pinpoint tone to be at full (loudest) tone from this height to the ground, when the ground balance is properly adjusted? Thank You

gb
    Steve

Jun 2015
    Lincolnshire
    Garrett ACE250 C-Scope CS2MX Home made Magnum II
    5 times

Name:	New_1_DSCF1556.JPG 
Views:	270 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	1346264Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_1_DSCF1570.JPG 
Views:	638 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	1346266Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_1_DSCF1597.JPG 
Views:	228 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	1346267Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New_1_DSCF1562.JPG 
Views:	306 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	1346268Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto Detector 2.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	1346269Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto-De breaks.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	1346270Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto-Det 3.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	1346271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto-Det vero.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	1346272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auto-Det.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	1346273

Dear Group Members,

Just "Finally" completed my ACE250 GEB Modification. I initially used a 50K Cermet pot. and found the GEB range too much! Now having finally completed my Modification. I have used: 1K8-5K-1K8 (5K. being a Cermet pot & 1K8 1% Metal film fixed resistors) This gives a Range: 3K57-8K83 (Centre marked @ 5.8 as Factory set 20K pre-set, out of Circuit)

I have seen other Members stating different Resistance values for the pre-set ranging from: 4K7-8K. (Do the Manufacturers adjust to individual Detectors, explaining the variations)

I hope the Att. Photos & Diagrams are of interest to you "All" and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask, and I will reply ASAP!

Happy Detecting & lots of Finds,

Steve

gb
    Steve

Jun 2015
    Lincolnshire
    Garrett ACE250 C-Scope CS2MX Home made Magnum II
    5 times
    Dear ACE250/350 Moders,

Having "Successfully" GEB "Modded" my ACE250, and very happy with the results. (As, Posted!) Intend to carry out another very basic but worthwhile Modification which worked very well on my Old CScope MX2. This had a Concentric-Coil, similar to the Elliptical ACE one!

My main reason for taking on this Modification being: When GEB is being Set, you have to Pump the Coil to the Ground about: 1.5-2” above Soil level! (This in itself indicates to me there is Ground-Capacitance “Effects”) This is nothing to do with the “Ground-Exclusion-Balancing” GEB.

This is normally down to the: TX/RX Coils having little or No “Faraday-Shielding” As the, Ace coils are potted in resin, I don`t know for sure! (But feel very confident my “Shielding” will alleviate this as my CScope MX2 did!)

I will “Post” my results after extensive testing, for any Members interested!

What I intend doing is:

• Run an Insulated Hook-up wire from: 0v Battery/PCB Gnd. Down the main stem to the Coil-Head! (With Extra-Length, for Termination/Splaying!)

• Foil-Cover the Detector-Head with 3M Aluminium “Self-Adhesive tape” (Coil areas/Top-Side!) Then as my MX2 “Trim” the excess to reveal the Original coil! Now covered with “Plenty” of Shielding!

• Terminating the Shielding to the “Run” wire from 0v/GND. By, Opening about: 3” of Splayed-out individual Strands. Then Foil-Tape & Piercing with a “Needle” to ensure 100% “Contact”

• Then “TEST” Fully & Post my “Results” (Waste of time, “Lets” see!)

gb
    spoon meister

Sep 2016
    sheffield/chesterfield (countryside)
    garret ace 250 garret pro-pointer 2
    17 times
    im not tech savy so any mod may screw up my ace 250 but i manualy set it before leaving for a hunt i would like to put a pot on my 250 but i dont know how, is there a video or basic instructions on how to do this mod i fear of breaking it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links