Headphone cord extension

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sunray X1 Probe, 11" DD coil, & 10x5" SEF coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept having the problem that when I needed to set my detector down, to dig a target, the retractable portion of the cord has a tight spring to it and would tip my detector over. I was always having to work with the detector basically right beside me and in the way, if I wanted to keep the headphones on. For some reason, with the majority being right handed, the Minelab Koss headphones cord comes off the left ear muff. To keep the cord out of the way I always run it down my back to the detector.

After searching radio shack and quite a few websites I finally found a 12" male to female extension. The really nice part is the male outputs the cord 90 degrees to the socket. It really takes the stress off that socket and works really well to eliminate the cord pull when setting it away from yourself to work. The connections are all nickel coated so they will not rust and they have some nice heavy support gromets, for the cord. I have only tried it indoors as it has just arrived, but it works great!! I cannot feel any extra weight on the headphones and can get it quite a ways away from myself. I thought I would post a couple pics of it and the link to the best price I found online ($14.95 free shipping) in case anyone else might have this same problem.

CablesOnline 1ft Right Angle 1 4" Stereo 6 3mm Male Female Audio Extension Cable | eBay

I have purchased through this company before directly, and not through ebay, and their service is great either way!

20141229_215208.jpg 20141229_220136.jpg 20141229_220214.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good tip!!

I don't know how many times I've tipped or drug the detector. I went to the ear bud type earphones. Then I can just use one and listen out of the other ear to my surroundings. The wire was still to short and I was constantly pulling it out. They aren't as bad on a hot day either. This would cure that problem too with those cords being too short.

OP
OP
M

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radio shack carried ones that fit a 1/8" jack, in different colors too, that length but, for the 1/4" jack 3' was the shortest. I should also mention this has really quality connectors. There is no slop once it is together. The sounds are just as clear. Plus now I can set the detector a full arm length away and move my head all I need to. So far I really like it and cannot wait to test it out.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have run wireless on all my detectors the last 2 season but tried the Koss headphones that came with the E trac and really liked them. Well other than the aforementioned wire coming out the left side (great if you are left handed) and yes the coiling is a bit stiff. really like your idea and am going to pick up one.
Thanks

OP
OP
M

Machinist

Dec 19, 2014
Vancouver, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!! I got to try it out for about an hour the other day and it worked great! The male plug existing 90 degrees to socket really takes the strain off that socket, from the cord.

If you get the extension post back a review here and other users can review them to make a decision on it. Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!! :hello2:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Machinist; Do they have a longer one ?? I need one 18" - 24" long. I await. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
I would just go to radio shack and buy the connectors and make my own. That way I can make whatever length I need.hh

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make these 19-20" long $15 if anybody wants one, think I have 3 or so left IMG_20160116_211941.jpg IMG_20160116_212047.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread