Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was cleaning my gear yesterday and noticed how my coil had became stained and had it's fair share of scratches all over it. I had an idea.....

I went to the local auto parts store and purchased one can of "Rhino Bed Lining", brought it back home and removed the lower rod assembly and coil from my Cortes. I coated the coil (except for the bottom), the lower rod assembly and also the cord that runs from the coil to the housing.

It gave the C[size=8pt]ORTES
a new look and also made it - - "Rhino Tough"[/size] --

A friend saw the new look and decided to protect his coil also, but instead of using the truck bed liner, he used automotive undercoating...it looks pretty good, but it's a more rubbery texture. The bed liner drys hard and sticks very well and there is no need to sand, just clean it up good with dish detergent and a brush, dry it up and carefully apply the liner.

Here's the finished look....

Attachments

• Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,085
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,061

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Nice idea NS! So it's a thin enough layer that there's no problem changing the lower rod heighth? I assume as well that there's no tiny metallic particles in the paint judging by the glistening. I guess too that with an extra coat on the bottom of the coil that it would eliminate the scuff cover. 8) idea and looks.

T

TreasureTales

WOW! Your detector has a very nice industrial look to it now. Rhino Tuff may not be right for me - do they have anything like Kitty Kat Kool or maybe Rattlesnake Ruff? :)

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
GOOD IDEA!

Hey NIGHT STALKER, we MD'ing folks must all think a like! I hope you don't mind me adding this info to your thread.

After reading how the "PROS" epoxy their coils I came up with the idea of Dupont Bed Linering mine! The material only cost me $20 at Walmart for a pint of the stuff and rollers. Before starting, I clearly read the instructions and followed them to a tee. As recommended, I performed a test using a piece of cardboard to make sure the ingredients contained no metal (actually running the swab under my SE turned on to ALL METAL MODE. All was good to go! I do suggest thin coats as the products are very strong and intended for metal so, be careful. You'll need a minimum of three coats IMO preferably 5. Over-applying (not allowing each coat to properly dry) can melt the plastic on your coil so be warned. I got to test the results today, doing a little MD'ing with my 12 inch Excelerator and SE. Here's the results!

4oql3yt.jpg

GRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread