Flash light mount for night time metal detecting
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree20Likes
  • 9 Post By Drew32215
  • 3 Post By jsk1
  • 1 Post By Pick_axe
  • 3 Post By Fletch88
  • 2 Post By Pick_axe
  • 1 Post By Rogerv
  • 1 Post By Back-of-the-boat

Thread: Flash light mount for night time metal detecting

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Drew

Mar 2016
    San Diego, CA
    Whites Matrix M6 w/ 9.5 concentric coil, and eclipse 6x10 dd coil. Whites bullseye 140mm pin pointer.
    20 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Flash light mount for night time metal detecting

This is an easy flashlight mount that I found about five years ago. It's a piece of hard rubber curved to fit onto the shaft and velcro to wrap and tighten everything in place. I'm using an inexpensive ever ready LED flashlight. I like to metal detect at night on the beach and this rig is very handy. Just thought I'd show it on my gtax 1250.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	535 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	1283531  

us
    Feb 2010
    Ocean View, Delaware
    CTX3030, stock and 6"coil. Excalliber II, 10", Garrett ATPro, 8.5x11, 5x8.
    7 times
    That seems like a very good idea. I usually just wear a head lamp. I'm like you, prefer to night hunt on the beach.
    Normsel, kcm and Back-of-the-boat like this.

Charter Member
    Grouch

May 2015
    Columbus NM
    Minelab Safari Minelab Excalibur 1000, Minelab Equinox 800 Garrett AT Gold Garrett GTI 2500,
    272 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I have a small LED scuba light that looks like a good candidate for this mod. Where did you get the rubber mount?
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.
    Oooh! A shiney thing! Can I put it in my nest?

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7031 times
    Head lamp. I just ordered a new one that I love! It's the Energizer Hard Case head lamp, 250 lumens, comes with 3 AA batteries, designed to stay on hard hats (which I don't own) but is comfortable and very well built. Priced right on Amazon as well - I paid just under $30. Built for use and abuse. One button is for spot and the other is for flood. Can use one side or both. Mine has no green or red, and I'm now glad. Wouldn't change a thing!!

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2355 times
    I prefer headlamp too.

Do you leave this on while detecting, be careful if you do you may be setting yourself up to get mugged. I prefer to hunt in pitch black darkness and only pop on my small head lamp when target is out of hole.
    I was just wondering also because I never have my machine pointed anywhere close to hole when retrieving targets.
    Back-of-the-boat, Pick_axe and kcm like this.

Charter Member
    Grouch

May 2015
    Columbus NM
    Minelab Safari Minelab Excalibur 1000, Minelab Equinox 800 Garrett AT Gold Garrett GTI 2500,
    272 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch88 View Post
    I prefer headlamp too.

Do you leave this on while detecting, be careful if you do you may be setting yourself up to get mugged. I prefer to hunt in pitch black darkness and only pop on my small head lamp when target is out of hole.
    I was just wondering also because I never have my machine pointed anywhere close to hole when retrieving targets.
    Good point Fletch. My concern is bashing the coil against something sticking out of the ground but on the beach that's less likely. Up here its called the Rockies for a reason. Every time it rains, rock seem to grow out of the ground.
    I keep a Petzl headlamp and it does have a 'red' mode. Maybe a better alternative.
    Back-of-the-boat and Fletch88 like this.
    Oooh! A shiney thing! Can I put it in my nest?

us
    Jan 2013
    Beltsville Maryland
    Garret GTA-1000 Garrett Seahunter Mark II Bounty Hunter (came as BOGO from Kellyco) AT propointer
    41 times
    Metal Detecting
    I added a Winchester boar light to my GTA1000 about $5 at Walmart comes with a single led on a flexible shaft that works great to light the screen at night.
    Back-of-the-boat likes this.

us
    Georgia Red

Mar 2013
    Valdosta, GA
    Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5 Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado Minelab CTX 3030 Minelab Xterra 305
    2355 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pick_axe View Post
    Good point Fletch. My concern is bashing the coil against something sticking out of the ground but on the beach that's less likely. Up here its called the Rockies for a reason. Every time it rains, rock seem to grow out of the ground.
    I keep a Petzl headlamp and it does have a 'red' mode. Maybe a better alternative.
    Yes I see your point! Not too many rocks in N. FL/ S. GA area unless you get in a river or creek! It's all sand and pine trees!

us
    Oct 2016
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Garrett AT Pro
    5 times
    Drew I am so stealing that idea.
    "I won't be wronged or insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on!
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them!"
    : John Wayne

us
    Mar 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Minelab Etrac, Sunray X-1, Garrett AT-Pro, Fisher F5, Fisher F2, 2- Garrett Pro Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
    112 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you search for "light barrel clamp mount" on eBay your search will turn up some pretty nice light mounts that hunters use for night time hog hunting. I bought a couple of them for hunting in Georgia, but have to admit that it didn't cross my mind to put one on a metal detector until I saw this thread.

-Roy
    Member of Monroeville Area Metal Detecting Club (MAMDC) (PA)

https://www.facebook.com/roygpa

Aug 2014
    58 times
    I use a makro racer and find the built in light awesome for night searching. I use that in combination with a powercap from Panther Vision and of course my AT propinter led at night usually. I have a Panther Vision ballcap, warm fleece hat, and one of their visors even for fishing. Love them for night time hunting.

us
    steve andermatt

Apr 2013
    California
    AT GOLD/Garrett /Garrett pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger
    4481 times
    I got a pinpointer holder that is the same and a small flashlight like the one you show fits perfectly, one of the vendors on here sells them.Metal detecting stuff is where I got mine.19.95.
    Last edited by Back-of-the-boat; Jan 14, 2017 at 04:12 AM.
    jsk1 likes this.
    back of the boat

Feb 2007
    SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
    PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
    192 times
    wet dirt
    BLACK DUCT TAPE
    if it wasn't for flashbacks. i would have no memory at all

Charter Member

Nov 2005
    103 times
    You can find the headlight style on Harbor Freight. They are built into a baseball cap. There are various models available, some of which flip up and turn off, out of your way. No weights on your detector, no metal hanging over your coil, and its cheap. PS, its also protected from rain, as well as your eyes, by the bill of the cap.
    Last edited by littlehugger; Mar 24, 2018 at 12:39 AM. Reason: added

Apr 2018
    Well, I do love night hunt and I have to carry extra light for that. It seems a good detector.
    Last edited by vpnavy; Apr 03, 2018 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Removed link...

Sponsored Links