Modding a Fisher 1280x Aquanaut

Aquanaut62

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I've had to open my Fisher 1280x Aquanaut to repair the coil cable. I don't dive, and a rain proof, mud proof machine is good enough for me.

On the circuit board of my 1280x, I could see three potentiometers R1, R2 and R3 (trimmers). Does anyone know what their purposes are? On rare (very rare) web pages, I've read that one changes the tone of the earphones, and another the threshold, but well I prefer not to mess anything tweaking things at random.

Best regards,

Aquanaut62

OP
OP
A

Aquanaut62

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a PDF "Detectorpro Wader & Diver Adjustment" at http://www.treasurelinx.com/uploads/Detectorpro_Adjust_REV_1.pdf

"From a reliable source, the Detectorpro VLF discriminating Wader/ Diver is basically a modified Fisher 1280x in a micro format."

There are 4 trimmer pots on the circuit board:
R1-----Ground Balance compensation
R2-----Frequency audio adjustment Warning, do not adjust R2 unless it is absolutely necessary.
R3-----Discrimination bias control
R4-----Threshold

The doc gives a complete procedure to properly tweak the machine.

I'd like to add an external waterproof pot to replace R1. I'll keep posting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1280-X is still a great fresh water detector. I used to use it in saltwater but it falsed alot, but not as much as the AT Pro I tried. Fisher still repairs them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread