bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Bounty Hunter Prospector uses two 9 volt batteries. Would there be any advantages to using two banks of six AA batteries ? 9 volts is 9 volts but would more milliamps per hour be beneficial ? Besides length of running time.
About weight ,since i put the Cors coil on , she's a bit nose heavy, i could reposition the batteries to balance it out.
Please don't crap on my Bounty Hunter, I enjoy taking mediocre machines,hopping them up , and playing with the big boys. My $35 eBay,10 year old BH Prospector with a Cors Fortune coil can stay with my buddies $1500 Whites V3i any day of the week on a park coin shoot.

When i first started detecting , i heard rumors of a guy with a Bounty Hunter with a huge bank of AA batteries that cleaned up here at the beaches. Maybe he knew something ?

ChuckT

Apr 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think if you check you will find that it's not straight forward. Some AA batteries output do not multiply up to 9 volts cleanly. Are they wired in series or parallel?
I think a better idea would be a small 12v gel cell stepped down to match your 9 volt battery compartment, more amp-hours. You want a clean steady voltage that lasts as long as you care to spend hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could duct tape a deep cycle marine battery on the front of it. You probably won't notice the weight of the coil, and you can detect for the next 2 years without the battery dying!

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , AA will be fine. You seem to have a handle on it.
6 cells will yield your 9 volts. Try using a cell holder with the 9 volt clip connector. Sweet if your original leads will let your battery pack move as far back as you need ! A hardware store steel "broom" , spring clip or two and you're swinging for weeks (assuming the BH has a tubular frame) !

OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking of hanging a box under the arm cup a-la Whites detectors and running the wires through the frame to keep everything clean.
In my twisted mind , 6 AA's should hold a peak charge longer under load than a single 9v due to capacity and take longer to drop for the same reason.The detector should run at peak efficiency longer. And more milliamps would help push the DD coil being it has more windings of wire .

ChuckT is correct in that not all AA batteries are 1.5 volts. I've heard cheap ones can run 1.2 1.3 volts. Quality batteries for sure. Lith would be expensive but would run just about forever and give me all the juice i need.

Last edited:

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brave Bob!
You've got a handle on it .....6 AA BATTERIES will be fine.....with one possible caveat.....I believe your MD uses one 9V for the detector , and the other 9V for amplifier with the caveat being if you use the ONE (6 AA source @ 9V) , you may notice a "crosstalk" in the form of interference....as one circuit loads to detect , the other will react to the load of the amplifier , each producing different loads on one battery pack most likely will result in instability in the detector circuit then the amp. circuit. NOW... There are voltage regulators IN your systems to compensate for higher than normal state of charge of a New Battery of around 9.8 Volts already BUT if you don't plan on using TWO INDIVIDUAL PACKS OF 6 CELLS (12 total) To power the 2 separate systems....small, abundant and very inexpensive Voltage Regulators are available at electronic parts stores that will allow you to use only one pack. The instructions are right on the package on the Radio Shack versions.
6 cells battery packs can be had with the mating 9 Volt snap connectors....SCORE ! If you are lucky enough to have battery leads that reach to the new battery box location .... you are Gold !
A quick intro to RECHARGEABLES..
6 RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES will only get you a nominal voltage of 7.2 volts (after the surface charge has been scrubbed off)...7 cell =8.4 volts then 8 cells will yield 9.6 volts ! But do not fear as some 9 Volt transistor batteries have a surface charge as high as 9.8 volts and your unit , having a current limiting , voltage regulator circuit should protect the pretty stuff inside by not letting the smoke out...smile.
So let's recap. 6-1.5 volt AA-alkaline with (2) a regulator to each circuit -OR...
12-1.5 volt AA-alkaline cells....6 to each circuit -OR...
8-1.2 volt RECHARGEABLES (and needed recharger) with required regulator to each circuit (OR ...and getting Heavy here)...
16 RECHARGEABLES for the 2 circuits, charger(s) , 2 battery cases.
....So I hope I haven't confounded you....I simply wanted help , not to think out loud.
In closing this diatribe, I swap my 9 Volt alkaline cells once from side to side (finding the detector side runs down faster than the amplifier side and the amplifier side works just fine down to ~6 volts) getting in excess of 25 hours with a pair of headphones.
One last thing, SLA (sealed lead acid rechargeable batteries) will work with the same caveat above. A low amperage automobile charger or even a cigarette lighter charger is relatively inexpensive but the voltage will need to be matched with a bit more circuitry.....and LEAD acid may be heavier and sensitive to the shock of a drop.
Much luck in extending your swing time!
....Mark....

Last edited:
OP
OP
bravobob

bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Mark ! I was looking at it kind of that way , i think. Two batteries,one for the coil,one for the electronics. I am going to use the two banks of 6 AA's. Im getting the holders with the 9v snap connectors, i can make longer leads with snap connectors at both ends. No need to cut and splice anything.
Not worried if i smoke it, i only paid $35,thank you ebay. I have enough in found clad to replace it. It would give me a real reason to upgrade if i do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread