Using A Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Xarrot) w/o a 9v Battery

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Using A Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (Carrot) w/o a 9v Battery

A while ago, I posted about a using a Minelab Pro-Find 35 without a 9V battery. You can read more about it here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...911-using-pro-find-35-without-9v-battery.html

But I wanted to run the modification with NiMH batteries. However, due to space constraints in the Pro-Find, this was not possible without modifying the internal battery compartment (which I didn't want to do b/c it would void the warranty, I'm sure). So instead, the Pro-Find runs off of a LiPo cell.

Well, I got a hold of a Garrett Carrot (Pro-Pointer AT) and given the extra space for the battery, I was able to run the 9V booster off of 3 LSD NiMH AAA cells. Works like a charm! The advantage is that I don't have to worry about "babying" the LiPo cell and worry about storing it with too little charge or anything like that.

Not much else to say, except show you the pictures. 20191016_133033.jpg 20191016_133006.jpg 20191016_133018.jpg 20191016_133021.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool Mod, thanks for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
M

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This made me laugh, apologies if it wasn't meant to be funny. Why such hatred? I'm intrigued

Besides the fact that it's 2020 and not 1990? Here are a few reasons:

1. They're expensive.
2. Can't handle anything more than a trickle of a current draw.
3. Rechargeable options are ok, but require a special charger. In other words, your AA or AAA NiMH/NiCd charger won't work for the 9V rechargeable battery. So that's another thing you have to keep in a drawer somewhere.
4. The ubiquity of AA and AAA batteries. Basically nothing in my house runs off of a 9V battery except my voltmeter and my metal detecting equipment. Even my smoke detectors run off of AA batteries now.
5. Low capacity.

Reason #4 is the big one. In today's day and age, there's simply no need to add another battery type. I'm sick of all the built-in lithium batteries out there, but I get it. It's companies finding another way to make consumers spend money or for the convenience of not having to swap out batteries and/or ability to use your Micro USB charger. Oh, and it's easier to make something waterproof when it has a built-in battery, a la the Minelab Equinox.

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Besides the fact that it's 2020 and not 1990? Here are a few reasons:

1. They're expensive.
2. Can't handle anything more than a trickle of a current draw.
3. Rechargeable options are ok, but require a special charger. In other words, your AA or AAA NiMH/NiCd charger won't work for the 9V rechargeable battery. So that's another thing you have to keep in a drawer somewhere.
4. The ubiquity of AA and AAA batteries. Basically nothing in my house runs off of a 9V battery except my voltmeter and my metal detecting equipment. Even my smoke detectors run off of AA batteries now.
5. Low capacity.

Reason #4 is the big one. In today's day and age, there's simply no need to add another battery type. I'm sick of all the built-in lithium batteries out there, but I get it. It's companies finding another way to make consumers spend money or for the convenience of not having to swap out batteries and/or ability to use your Micro USB charger. Oh, and it's easier to make something waterproof when it has a built-in battery, a la the Minelab Equinox.

That all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions