BIG METEORITE

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
I don't know the weight but a very large pallasite meteorite was found a couple years ago. It was being auctioned with a minimum of $200,000. It did not sell. Given today's economy it is less likely that anyone would want to spend a lot of money on a meteorite.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Not that it couldn't be done, CW, but I think it would be a tough job to actually GET a couple million for a meteorite. But you never know...

and that's the whole thing about it... they are probably most valuable for research about what we don't quite know.

Get it authenticated, make up a nice stand for it and gussie it up and send pictures to the major auction houses.

Just like trolling for fish... hoping something will bite!

Good luck
rmptr

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Depends a lot on the type of meteorite. Some are rare, some are common. I have a large iron meteorite that weighs 50lbs and I only paid about $300 for it. I have a small slice of another one, about 1 gram, that I paid the same amount for. It's all a matter of rarity of the type.

wtgwayne

Oct 30, 2009
I found a meteorite in Texas that was 4.6 billion years old that weight 5000 grams and i sold it to a geoglist in San Antonio TX and he paid me $2.00 a gram for it.

wtgwayne

Oct 30, 2009
Here is a photo of the meterorite that i found.

Attachments

• rlk_0362[1].jpg
    rlk_0362[1].jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 2,556

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
cwdigger said:
I have a question and no I dont have a pic but I have seen it, how much would a 242 pound meteorite be worth? MILLIONS RIGHT.

Cw

Maybe. Maybe not.
Can you document exactly when/where it was found? Has it been proven to be a meteorite? Has it been classified?
If yes to all three, there is a place in Dallas I believe that sells them, and may sell the one you refer to for a commision.
But as been posted earlier, with this economy, hard to tell. If it's a pallasite, sometimes the money is in cutting it up and selling it as polished slices if it's full of olivine crystals and shows well.
With all of the non-classified material that has come of of Northwest Africa (NWA) the past few years, it drove prices down as people could afford meteorites for cents per gram instead of dollars per gram.

Lots of "Meteor-wrongs" out there, everyone hopes what they find is one and most of the time it is not.

wtgwayne

Oct 30, 2009
Scotto,

Here is a photo of the meteorite, and the man that i sold it to from San Antonio, he said it was a Crondite, i found it in a cotton field while i was looking for arrowheads.

Attachments

• meteorite6.jpg
    meteorite6.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,974

Alnitak

Nov 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
wtgwayne said:
Scotto,

Here is a photo of the meteorite, and the man that i sold it to from San Antonio, he said it was a Crondite, i found it in a cotton field while i was looking for arrowheads.

Very nice! The proper term is chondrite--it's a stony meteorite. That one looks like it has been lying around for a while, and is quite large and nicely shaped. Believe it or not, he may have gotten a real deal at $2/gram.

Jeff

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like you could cut it into small slabs to sell for display and make a lot more money than selling it as a single piece. Of course, that's AFTER you've had it classified and certified.

That "Meteorite Man" program will probably lead to the "market" becoming saturated.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Size and availability affect meteorite prices. Perhaps not the way you might expect, though. A small etched piece of the Willamette Meteorite sold in October, 2008 for several times a comparable weight of gold.

See this:

http://www.macovich.com/willamette.html

It is believe that Ellis Hughes broke off about 100 pieces of the meteorite for souveniers. Most of those have not surfaced and are no longer known to science. But at least some have been re-discovered recently.

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
cwdigger said:
I have a question and no I dont have a pic but I have seen it, how much would a 242 pound meteorite be worth? MILLIONS RIGHT.

Cw

dont think so, (then again I dont know alot about them..) but there is a meteorite about that size maybe bigger at my local University. So I doubt it would be worth that much if anything, otherwise they would of sold it, and no its not in any science building for students to study, believe it or not its in the math building.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shortstack said:
Seems like you could cut it into small slabs to sell for display and make a lot more money than selling it as a single piece. Of course, that's AFTER you've had it classified and certified.

That "Meteorite Man" program will probably lead to the "market" becoming saturated.
The show will never "saturate" the market for two reasons. 1: never will be enough space rocks to sarurate. 2: most people will continue to collect space rocks "from da couch" and few will get "off da couch". TTC

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
The last new authentic meteorites I know of which have been recently (2008) sold, went for an AVERAGE of $10,000/lb. Even some of the really common ones are now selling for much more than they were going for just 10 years ago. And objects that were struck by meteorites can be worth more than the meteorites themselves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread