Im pretty sure this is a meteorite.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I'm pretty sure this is a meteorite.

I found my old rock collection from when I was a kid and am now IDing them all. I came across this one--I must have picked it up because it's sparkly... The more I examined it, the more I got to thinking it could be a meteorite. Now for the reasons:
It's heavy, slightly magnetic, it has the bluish-blackened surrounding around it (especially on what I've dubbed the "bottom"), in bright light every bit of it sparkles like crazy with a silvery colored metal, it's totally solid, all edges are rounded. It measures 1 3/8" by 3/4" by 5/8".
In total speculation, on the "bottom", it's very much darker and has a white-ish spot. My theory is that if this is a meteorite, then the "bottom was the side facing the earth, and when it hit, it smacked against another rock and left resedue on it. I may be way off, but that's what I'm thinking. Everything I read on the steps to deciphering whether you have a meteorite or a meteowrong leads me to believe it is a meteorite. But I would love your opinions and comments ! ;D

Attachments

• meteorite-front.jpg
    meteorite-front.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,439
  • meteorite-back.jpg
    meteorite-back.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 1,457
  • meteorite-bottom.jpg
    meteorite-bottom.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,458

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I'm pretty sure this is a meteorite.

Keep it in a cage with small bars. You never know when they will hatch.

No for real it sounds like to me your on the right track. I don't know much about much but I hear heavy and magnetic are to good indicators. Some where on this forum someone found one and sent it off to be tested it turned out to be the first one of that kind to be found on earth or something like that. I guess the place that tested it named it after the guy or gal that found it.

Good luck,

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tried to Lighten the pics Without Changing its Color.

How did I do ?

Attachments

• indextest.jpg
    indextest.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,425
  • testier.jpg
    testier.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,402
  • testiest.jpg
    testiest.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,381

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

My guess is no, but I would hate to put a professional opinion on anything other than examining it with my own two hands, looks pretty cool though.

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

...or better yet, I'm never right on my gut instinct

OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

haha....thanks for the posts so far. I wish I could show how it actually looks up close with lots of light. You did a good job lightening up the pictures. I know they were dark, but that's how the scanner did it. I was expecting it to reflect all the metal to where you could only see light, but whatever. Perhaps I should drill a small hole in one side to see its core...but I hesitate because I fear of ruining it or something. We'll see...

Coin_Saver

Nov 10, 2004
Ohio

Hey if you are subscribed to W&ET this months issue has a story about a meteorite and it sounds like it looks exactly like that! I think its a real meteor you could probably get alot of money for that!

clockdryve

Greenie
Dec 10, 2005
Get The Book

Get the book "ROCKS FROM SPACE" by author O. Richard Norton This is the BEST non scientific (easy reading) book on meteorites and there classifications. Lots of color pictures-History of meteorites-Simple tests to help determine if it might be a meteorite. I highly recommend getting this book. Can be found on Amazon.com for under $30 (I just got me another one 3 weeks ago) I ragged out my first one, and I liked the book so much that I got another!! There are 447 pages in the book (soft cover). Found out later that they make a hardback copy. Wish I would have know that. Oh well, maybe I will donate my new to the the library I haven't used it.......don't want to get it dirty :) Then I will have an excuse to get another///////// The Hard Back !! ;D

A

almittmet

Greetings Snee and all,

Looking at your specimen I'm incline to say it isn't a meteorite. Mainly because it doesn't have smooth rounded edges. Looks can be deceiving though. Your better off grinding a small window into the specimen then polishing it down a bit to better see the interior. If you can see actual metal in the specimen then it is most likely a meteorite. By metal I mean silvery looking spots in the matrix and not light reflected from crystals. One other thing you can do or should do is buy a nickel test kit (or allergic test kit that test for nickel). You can grind a small amount on the stone and then check it for the characteristic red color if it is indeed nickel. Always grind a window in a spot on your specimen that won't detract from the overall looks. Don't hit your specimens with a hammer or such as that can ruin the value to a collector. I hope I helped.

BTW,

I do check out many specimens (suspect meteorites) each year in my area and people are welcome to contact me off list and send me specimens to check out. I usually perfer to talk to you before we go to the expense of shipping by mail. Return postage should be include if you want specimens back. You can send your specimen by mail so I have to sign a receipt for it so you have proof I am looking at it. I've been in the business for over 17 years now. All my best!

--AL M.

Frenchman

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2003
Western U.S.A.

Hi, Its been several years since I have talked to them, however, arizona state university used to check them for free. Best wishes.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

To me that looks like a very good candidate. That black thin coating on one side is a very good indicator, magnetic and the bits of 'sparklies' are a bonus. You really need to have that tested out by a lab and get a definate result. You can do self tests, but that really doesn't do much good without a qualified lab sending back the paperwork saying 'YES'.

You could try a streak test on the rough side of the toilet tank lid. If it does not leave a streak, that is good. You need a grounded exposed surface to do this, the rust on the surface will leave a streak if you don't. If you don't get a streak, you can next try a nickel chemical test. You can get these at some pharmacies, they use them to test allergies to nickel. If you find nickel present, you should cross your fingers and send it off for a pro to test asap. Lab testing is cheap, around $10 or so and you only need to send in a piece about the size of a dime in if you can chip any of it off.

Personally, I would take it whole to a local university with a meteorology lab. That looks like a very good candidate and they can usually do the tests for free.

EDIT* I forgot to mention. If that big speck on the last picture is quartz, it is NOT a meteorite. It is hard to tell from the picture if that is some kind of scrape or chip off the rock or exposed quartz. Quartz will never be found in a meteorite.

OP
OP
Snee

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri

It's not quartz. It almost looks like chalk, but it doesn't rub off or anything. Not sure what the deal is...

D

don Lupe

Gee-Whizz; NO! not a meteorite..Good pics detailing all the Wrongs..Me? I make my living from Meteorites..No I don't sell or buy.. I work for someone, but I do enjoy reading the stuff on this Forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread