Az. Meteorites belong to Goverment!!!!!!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Buckeye Steve said:
Sorry to say but the Great state of Arizona is taking away more & more rights for what seems to be
no rime or reason. Hope this link works http://www.blm.gov/o...ollectables.php
Steve
Actually, this question was settled long ago by the U.S. Senate. Any meteorite found on state or BLM lands is considered a national treasure, and belongs to the US government. Search for the Old Woman Meteorite, I think from California.

But the decision does not apply to just Arizona or California. It applies to federal and state lands anywhere in the US. Ironically, it does not apply to Native American lands, which are considered separate legal jurisdictions, even though technically within the US. That's one reason why the Willamette Meteorite was recently "returned" to the Grand Ronde Native Americans from Oregon, although found by Ellis Hughes in 1902 on property belonging to the Oregon Iron and Steel Company. NAGPRA (Native American Graves Repatriation Act) guaranteed the custody of the rock would be returned to the Grand Ronde Reservation.

Interesting case. The rock was found by Hughes, who was "given" the rock by some of the few upper Chinook still living at the time, then awarded to Oregon Iron and Steel Company, who then sold it to a private collector, who donated it to a museum. Now the rock "belongs" to the tribe who called it their "Tomowanassas", which could be interpreted as "sky messenger" or "messenger of the gods", depending on who is asked.

Dick Pugh, a meteoritical scientist associated with the Cascadia Meteorite Laboratory here in Portland, Oregon, has examined where the stone was found, and believes it was transported to Oregon some 12,000 to 15,000 years ago in an iceberg during a series of huge floods known as the Bretz Floods, caused by an ice dam holding back Lake Missoula. These multiple floods caused the Columbia River to cut a new channel through the Columbia River Gorge. When the floods brokes thru the Cascade Mountains and joined the Willamette River, the Willamette Valley was instantly flooded by water some 200-400 feet deep. It is highly unlikely any Native American living along either the current Columbia River or lower Willamette River would have survived any of these massive floods.

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well lets see, if a meteorite should happen to fall to earth and strike someone either standing outdoors or within a building or in a vehicle does this mean we would have the right to sue the government and recover damages since they "OWN" all meteorites ??????
God forbid a person should be killed instantly in a situation like that would the government be responsible for a "murder" or wrongfull death lawsuit ?????
Ya know I think this WHOLE situation with "WHO" owns a meteorite is alot of "B.S."
Lets face it 99% of the people in this country including the government haven't the gumption to get off their asses and go out in the field hunting meteorites or gold in 100 degree heat in desolate areas exposing themselfs to snake bites, illegal aliens, drugrunners, mountain lions , scorpions , tarantulas, swarms of bees, gila monsters, etc. etc. etc. They just want somebody else to do all the footwork take all the risks get sunstroke, beat the livin shit out of their vehicles in these desolate areas and then "slap us on the face and take what we find away". ITS ALL B.S. JUST LIKE MOST EVERYTHING IS GETTING TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY LATELY. DON'T GET TOO EXCITED WHEN YOU FIND OUT YOU CAN BE CITED BY AN OFFICER OF THE LAW FOR "PASSING GAS" IN PUBLIC SOON.

REMEMBER SOMETHING VERY VERY IMPORTANT...........THE OCEANS ,THE LANDS, THE SKY, YOUR HOUSE, YOUR CAR, NOBODY REALLY OWNS ANYTHING ITS ALL A BUNCH OF BULL........YOU JUST "USE" THEM WHILE IN YOUR LITTLE LIFESPAN HERE ON MOTHER EARTH.
THE INDIANS, "NATIVE AMERICANS" ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO UNDERSTAND THE EARTH AND THE SKY AND RESPECT IT AS SUCH. THE WHITE MAN IS LIKE "WHITE BREAD" NOW WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE YOUR SANDWICH ON WHITE OR WHOLE GRAIN OR RYE ETC. ETC. I'M SURE YOU'D CHOSE ANYTHING BUT "WHITE" BECAUSE ITS REALLY WORTHLESS NUTRITIONALLY ISN'T IT ????
THIS POST WASNT AIMED AT ANY PERSON IN PARTICULAR I AM JUST SO FRUSTRATED AT ALL THE CRAP GOING ON WITH ALL THE FORUMS ABOUT METEORITE HUNTING ITS A GREAT PASTIME A SINCERELY FULFILLING HOBBY WHEN DONE INTELLIGENTLY IT HURTS NO ONE, INFRINGES ON NO ONES RIGHTS, DISTURBS NO ONES PERSONAL BEING.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
frank said:
Well lets see, if a meteorite should happen to fall to earth and strike someone either standing outdoors or within a building or in a vehicle does this mean we would have the right to sue the government and recover damages since they "OWN" all meteorites ??????
God forbid a person should be killed instantly in a situation like that would the government be responsible for a "murder" or wrongfull death lawsuit ?????
Ya know I think this WHOLE situation with "WHO" owns a meteorite is alot of "B.S."
Lets face it 99% of the people in this country including the government haven't the gumption to get off their asses and go out in the field hunting meteorites or gold in 100 degree heat in desolate areas exposing themselfs to snake bites, illegal aliens, drugrunners, mountain lions , scorpions , tarantulas, swarms of bees, gila monsters, etc. etc. etc. They just want somebody else to do all the footwork take all the risks get sunstroke, beat the livin --deleted-- out of their vehicles in these desolate areas and then "slap us on the face and take what we find away". ITS ALL B.S. JUST LIKE MOST EVERYTHING IS GETTING TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY LATELY. DON'T GET TOO EXCITED WHEN YOU FIND OUT YOU CAN BE CITED BY AN OFFICER OF THE LAW FOR "PASSING GAS" IN PUBLIC SOON.

REMEMBER SOMETHING VERY VERY IMPORTANT...........THE OCEANS ,THE LANDS, THE SKY, YOUR HOUSE, YOUR CAR, NOBODY REALLY OWNS ANYTHING ITS ALL A BUNCH OF BULL........YOU JUST "USE" THEM WHILE IN YOUR LITTLE LIFESPAN HERE ON MOTHER EARTH.
THE INDIANS, "NATIVE AMERICANS" ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO UNDERSTAND THE EARTH AND THE SKY AND RESPECT IT AS SUCH. THE WHITE MAN IS LIKE "WHITE BREAD" NOW WHICH WOULD YOU RATHER HAVE YOUR SANDWICH ON WHITE OR WHOLE GRAIN OR RYE ETC. ETC. I'M SURE YOU'D CHOSE ANYTHING BUT "WHITE" BECAUSE ITS REALLY WORTHLESS NUTRITIONALLY ISN'T IT ????
THIS POST WASNT AIMED AT ANY PERSON IN PARTICULAR I AM JUST SO FRUSTRATED AT ALL THE CRAP GOING ON WITH ALL THE FORUMS ABOUT METEORITE HUNTING ITS A GREAT PASTIME A SINCERELY FULFILLING HOBBY WHEN DONE INTELLIGENTLY IT HURTS NO ONE, INFRINGES ON NO ONES RIGHTS, DISTURBS NO ONES PERSONAL BEING.
Answer to your first question is: no. Until a stone strikes the earth, it is a meteor, not a meteorite. Only after it has come to rest on the earth is it a meteorite. Space debris, as from satellites, are not meteoritical. Meteorites are only extraterrestrial.

That doesn't mean you wouldn't be well-rewarded if you found a large chunk of a satellite. Some of them have pretty large chunks of platinum and other rare earth metals in them, including gold, silver, palladium, osmium, and iridium.

If a meteorite falls on your land, it belongs to you. If your land contains gold ore, it belongs to you. Similarly, land owned by the state or US government belongs to the state or government. This is called ownership.

It has been estimated that each square mile on earth has a meteorite strike every 10,000 years. There could be a meteorite on your land at this time. You are entitled to search for it. If you recover it, it is yours.

You bring up an interesting question though. Most people don't know what meteorites are and cannot recognize them when one in hand. That doesn't mean they aren't valuable, though. As valuable as gold or platinum nuggets, in some cases. If someone came into your house and took a gold nugget, wouldn't you be upset? Would you feel robbed? What if you didn't know it was a gold nugget?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frank said:
Lets face it 99% of the people in this country including the government haven't the gumption to get off their asses and go out in the field hunting meteorites or gold in 100 degree heat in desolate areas exposing themselfs to snake bites, illegal aliens, drugrunners, mountain lions , scorpions , tarantulas, swarms of bees, gila monsters, etc. etc. etc. They just want somebody else to do all the footwork take all the risks get sunstroke, beat the livin --deleted-- out of their vehicles in these desolate areas and then "slap us on the face and take what we find away". ITS ALL B.S. JUST LIKE MOST EVERYTHING IS GETTING TO BE IN THIS COUNTRY LATELY. DON'T GET TOO EXCITED WHEN YOU FIND OUT YOU CAN BE CITED BY AN OFFICER OF THE LAW FOR "PASSING GAS" IN PUBLIC SOON.

On private land it belongs to the land owner "In the United States, meteorites are the property of the person upon whose land they are found. If a meteorite is found on federal lands, then government officials consider it to belong to the government and, under an interpretation of the 1906 "Antiquities Act," meteorites found on federal lands belong to the Smithsonian Institution. National parks and public lands generally prohibit removal of rocks from them."

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Skywola said:
truckinbutch said:
Cappy Z. said:
I hope this is simply a joke. For the State of Arizona to claim meteorites as theirs...is ridiculous.

People in that state need to do whatever it is to change the law and then take the officials out into the desert.
:-X
Umm....... Sounds good as long as bringing them back is not part of the plan ;D

You can't do that either, read further on in the article "Please remember not to leave any modern day artifacts or human remains of your own (haul out your trash from remote areas), take only photographs and leave only footprints on designated paths."

Hell, you'd be breaking their laws if you went out there an put a gun to your head and blew your own brains out! Pretty soon they will be saying no farting on federal lands and making a law against that! They will be installing fart detectors and triangulate on your position and come to arrest you!

Ever read the Clean Air Act? I'm sure someone could find a way to find a farting clause

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
No problem, turn them in, just hope I don't mistake a meteorite for a hot rock, I collect "hot rocks". :wink:

If you reeeaaalllyyy wanna be a smart alek, save up 50 - 75 pounds of hotrocks. Take em down to the capitol & turn em in. Some brilliant govt. official will more than likely send them to ASU for evaluation. ?Quiet protest? Oh, make sure you get a property receipt for the "Meteor Wrongs" then they will have to keep them in custody until you come pick them up ;D ;D ;D

M

mankind

If i found a meteorite on your property would you let me keep it? Give the feds a break. They are treasure hunters too. God help us all.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
mankind said:
If i found a meteorite on your property would you let me keep it? Give the feds a break. They are treasure hunters too. God help us all.

LOL! Yea, Like a Vulture. They sit on the roost and wait for you to find it. DIE! Then they snatch it up with a $10,000 fine to boat.

dirtwrench

Tenderfoot
Feb 23, 2009
Yes, like the forrest ranger told me to tread lightly when out in the back country of north AZ, yes sir I repiled, I would hate do deny the 500,000 head of cattle you let stomp around on public lands, or all the flagstone pits that rip up the sides of hills also on public lands.
And remember that Az state trust land is not public land, what a joke.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mankind said:
Please! Let's re-phrase that. The Feds are NOT treasure hunters. They are more in line with pirates & thieves. 99.9% of the people I know who are "treasure hunters" are decent & honorable people.

My outlook on the issue of hunting on public lands or even federal lands is, we're paying for it we're paying the salaries of the rangers so we own it. Since we own it, we can clean it up just as we would clean up our own yards. We can pick up things left behind by others. Why? Becaused we're paying for it! (scuse me while I climb down off my soap box :D)

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMEN TO THAT!!!! They don't own "shit".

That is weird, though, because, part of that ruling was overturned in the Supreme Court.

As per the Antiquities Act - NO institution can own all artifacts. Seems like someone is taking a lot of liberties with the law. (surprise, surprise) :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :evil5: :evil5: :evil5: :evil5: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Beth

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
Technically All Rocks came from space at one time or the other.

Technically All Rocks are Antiques?

Any thing over 50 years old is considered a Antique.

God, I'm a Antique?

Am I Protected?

They can't take me off Federal Lands?

sheep.gif
sheep.gif
sheep.gif
sheep.gif

C

Cappy Z.

The bureaucrats better be careful...a house might fall on them. (Glinda)

Ken~Digs

May 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O.K. ~ Here's what Your Supposed to do, if You get a good hit on Your Detector & it Looks like a Dark Rock while Sticking to Your Magnet Stick, Dont forget Where You Found it. Remember now ~ It came from Your Buddy's Ranch , Correct ?

1 other thing , who Pays for those public lands we're speaking of ? Where does Sammy's $ come from ? It Used to come from Us Native folks with Merit, right ? Maybe Now it's China or Green Credits. if we're not supposed to keep cosmic Rocks , How we gonna Retire when they've given all our SS dough to the Undeserving Leeches Infiltrating our Lands ?

Last edited:

Rock Whisperer

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2012
Federal=Government... Government=People...

"For The People, By the People, and OF the People... Just Sayin ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread