Wisconsin Meteor Sighting

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was all over the news today. The best sighting report I have is from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel 04/15 2010 Section B Page 2
"It was pretty awesome, I can't believe a hundred million people didn't se it. It broke into a million pieces." Another caller described it as seen over Pewaukee from Capitol Drive in Brookfield. It was a green light that seemed to explode and change to yellow and orange, showering down in a diagonal path.
The national weather service in Sullivan WI. received close to a dozen calls from local law enforcement agencies reporting hundreds of callers inquiring about bursts of lights through out the evening.
I saw a cool Doppler radar image of it coming in from the La Cross station.
I have tomorrow off and will be on the hunt.

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Whats with all the colors ? I thought that if there were Colors like that , then it was a man made object and different metals were producing the different colors. Jim

OP
OP
Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tertiaryjim said:
Whats with all the colors ? I thought that if there were Colors like that , then it was a man made object and different metals were producing the different colors. Jim

Astronomers say what We saw most likely was a( bolide meteor ), which is an exceptionally bright fireball in the sky before ever reaching the ground.

OP
OP
Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on today's hunt. First off the Doppler radar that picked up the Wisconsin fireball placed it a little west of Livingston, WI. in Iowa County. In a SE direction.
I started my hunt from Mineral Point WI. and went south doing some road hunting. Worked my way up and down heading West until reaching Livingston, WI.
At the Mobile station I got a little info from the CBS news crew that where doing interviews .
There I ran into Paul Sipiera from the Chicago Field Museum. We talked and he showed me a similar type meteor sample for reference and what to look for. We headed West out of town doing the back road hunt again until I got back to mineral point. They have a nice new motel there.
After about 100 miles of back road hunting; I covered every back road and parking lot to be found.
I found allot of asphalt chunks, dirt clogs, pine cones and farming junk, a good county clean up day.
I will have to wait until some verified find locations are released to try again. Mum's the word today.

Attachments

• 2paint09srm.png
    2paint09srm.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 333

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best of luck! 5hrs away, got all next week off work, might make the trip over.

realsilvergirl

Greenie
Apr 4, 2010
eastern iowa
ooh I saw this but didn't realize till a day or so later. I work in a hospital and was in a room with no lights on. I saw this neon lime green light flash by the window, flickering brightly. I thought at the time "when did the medivacs change their lights?" I also remember thinking that even if it had landed around the other side of the bldg on the pad I should still see flickering lights from it...but no it was gone. Ha I can't believe I saw a huge meteor and didn't know it! I guess since I didnt SEE the copter that shoulda been my first clue! I was awesome and low in the sky cuz I wasn't really near the window so if I saw it across the room well, it was low in the sky. I am sure our hospitals cameras had to have caught it

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a customer see it in S Wisconsin here locally.

He said the sky brightened up so much he wondered what was up, and then it streaked across his vision from N to S at an oblique angle. It was very bright, lighting up the whole sky, with a head and a tail that "sparked". While he watched it, it broke into two, both pieces "on fire". It lasted for maybe 5 seconds, but seemed longer.

At an oblique angle, it is almost impossible to track, like the guy who said it was "seen over Pewaukee", which is actually 100 miles to the east.

The best bet is to look for accounts saying it was overhead, and the radar, of course.

realsilvergirl

Greenie
Apr 4, 2010
eastern iowa
of course now that I think about it maybe it wasn't low maybe it was just north of the hospital. I guess I should say "it wasn't directly above the hospital" but more North....not necessarily 'low on the horizon' .... :) but from what I could tell it traveled from the north west to south east....? i don't know....but the light traveled across the hospital window west to east ....and the window was facing north....i don't know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions