chicora meteorite

johnnyboy25

Aug 27, 2006
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
01/04/20 NOKTA IMPACT
anybody have any info on this 450 ton monster. it exploded 12 miles up over town of chicora, pa. in 1938,less than 2lbs. were recovered.i live about 45 minutes from there and am thinking of giving it a look.all i can find on-line is basic info.does anyone know its estimated speed and direction,etc.? anything you have will be greatly appreciated....thanks...hh....jb

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
johnnyboy25 said:
anybody have any info on this 450 ton monster. it exploded 12 miles up over town of chicora, pa. in 1938,less than 2lbs. were recovered.i live about 45 minutes from there and am thinking of giving it a look.all i can find on-line is basic info.does anyone know its estimated speed and direction,etc.? anything you have will be greatly appreciated....thanks...hh....jb
The article below says 2 specimens were recovered: one weighing 242 grams, and one weighing 61 grams.

Try doing a search for Pennsylvania and meteorites, plus the weight: should be put exactly on where they were recovered.

Blue2cooter

May 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where there is a meteorite looking rock in the allegheny river probably over a ton if I had to guess. And a magnet sticks to it, but the chicora meteorite was mostly rock........

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It says its low mineral low iron so it may be hard to find chalactite spelling* with a detector I'm not sure just thought I'd throw it out there in case it would change your tactics to capture said meteor. Maybe someone here knows for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread