Washington Meteorites

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Washington has 71303 square miles. Several meteorites have been found here, as well as several witnessed fireballs, bolides, meteors, etc. Thousands more should be located in Washington but await discovery. As with my other posts for different states, the first is the official name (if available) or area fall seen, second is size, third is the date seen or recovered

Chinook County, 10 MT, c. 1800; Pacific Ocean, unknown fall visible for "1 hour 25 minutes" on May 31, 1841; Lyons Ferry, "several hundred pounds", 1875; Waterville, 34 kg., 1917; Tacoma, 16.7 gr., 1925-1932; Puget Sound Fall, unknown, July 15, 1928; Roy, unknown, Aug. 2, 1929; Yakima Fireball, unknown, April 20, 1933; Washougal, 225 gr., 1939; Withrow, 8.75 kg., 1950; Kirkland, 232 gr., 1955; Colville Fireball, unknown, May 30 1962; Ross Dam Fireball, unknown, July 19, 1964; Albion, 12.28 kg., 1966; Colton, 19.767 kg., 1993; Elma Shower, unknown, July 15, 2003; Seattle area fall, unknkown, June 3, 2004; Randle Fall, unknown, March 6, 2004; Seattle/Olympia impact (caused an earthquake), unknown, March 14, 2005; Yakima, unknown, source: Brogan, Phil F. "Barn struck By Meteorite", The Oregonian, in Meteorite vertical file of the Oregon Historical Society's library.

M

mankind

Have you ever gone to Oregons dry lake beds to look for meteorites? Do you want to get together sometime for a meteorite hunt? I live in washington and have a nice collection of meteorites from all over the world. Lets find one !!!

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not many dry lake beds in Oregon, although Malheur Lake during drought might be a promising site. Any meteorites would likely be sunken into the mud of this rather shallow lake, and the wildlife refuge nearby might make searching problematic.

Did you have some other "dry lake bed" in mind? Which one?

I am interested in following up on the Lyons Ferry stone, which supposedly was found by someone on horseback a few weeks after it landed. Wondering how much caliche would have accumulated since 1875: might not be all that black now.

Jazen

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2007
I would like to go hunting for some meteorites, either in Washington or someplace around here. I live in Seattle. I'm making a New Years resolution for 2011 to work less, so I want to get out and hunt more.

w7my

May 30, 2011
I found a candidate meteorite at Lyons Ferry about 10 years ago.

I am interested in following up on the Lyons Ferry stone, which supposedly was found by someone on horseback a few weeks after it landed. Wondering how much caliche would have accumulated since 1875: might not be all that black now.
[/quote]

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
w7my said:
Really? Did you get a photo? Take a sample? Take a GPS reading? Remember the landmarks to return to it?

w7my

May 30, 2011
Tuberale said:
w7my said:
Really? Did you get a photo? Take a sample? Take a GPS reading? Remember the landmarks to return to it?

I found it while on a trip and took it home. Last year I saw a episode of Meteorite men and remembered the rock and examined it. Like I said, its only a "candidate" although it is heavy and magnetic so at least its a good candidate.

here are a few pictures.

photobucket.com/w7my

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Took a look at your photos, and I can't be sure. Initial reaction is probably not. But I hope I'm wrong.

I'd suggest taking a file and creating a "window" into the rock. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes or so. Please take a close-up photo of the window, and post to a new thread.

Regarding the original Lyons Ferry meteorite: while this might be a piece of it, it is too small to be the main mass, which was described as being 3-4 feet above the ground when found.

MilesSupertramp

Feb 23, 2016
Indiana & Seattle
Detector(s) used
BH Time Ranger
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever gone to Oregons dry lake beds to look for meteorites? Do you want to get together sometime for a meteorite hunt? I live in washington and have a nice collection of meteorites from all over the world. Lets find one !!!

Yes! Let's go. Leaving tomorrow night, possibly Tuesday morning. SE Oregon and or Nevada - Black Rock → NE state line.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread