Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this with my detector..Reading 92 on the vdi.
If you wire wheel it it turns to gold,dark gold or maybe its brass but it looks like gold.
Extremely heavy for a small rock..Gold this size would read that on my detector..
Now here is the strange part..I spilled peroxide on it a little bit and it turned that purple color..
This is a strange piece..
John

Attachments

• meteorite or not 001.jpg
    meteorite or not 001.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,387
  • meteorite or not 002.jpg
    meteorite or not 002.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,889

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Not a meteorite to my eye. I know of no golden-colorations in meteorites with the exception of rare pallasites. Do a Google search for pallasite to show the crystals embedded in iron matrix.

Doesn't really look like brass to me, either, unless it's been melted for some reason.

I'd advise using a steel file to file a "window" into the stone. If the golden-color continues into the inside, and the stone seems to be very dense, it just might be one of those odd gold nuggets, similar to gold telluride.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuberale said:
Not a meteorite to my eye. I know of no golden-colorations in meteorites with the exception of rare pallasites. Do a Google search for pallasite to show the crystals embedded in iron matrix.

Doesn't really look like brass to me, either, unless it's been melted for some reason.

I'd advise using a steel file to file a "window" into the stone. If the golden-color continues into the inside, and the stone seems to be very dense, it just might be one of those odd gold nuggets, similar to gold telluride.

Can you give me instructions on how you would file a window in it?
Thanks for the reply,John

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First the sample must be stationary. Put it in a vise or similar holder where it cannot slip and injure both you and anything else nearby. Using a high-carbon steel file, select a angular protrusion somewhere on the object. File into the object for a few millimeters (fraction of an inch), then look at the resulting window into the interior of the object with a magnfying glass, or post the closest close-up of the window here. If gold or telluride, a bright gold color should be nearly instantly revealed, since gold is quite soft. If anything else, it may be difficult to file any window. In either case, post the results.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuberale said:
First the sample must be stationary. Put it in a vise or similar holder where it cannot slip and injure both you and anything else nearby. Using a high-carbon steel file, select a angular protrusion somewhere on the object. File into the object for a few millimeters (fraction of an inch), then look at the resulting window into the interior of the object with a magnfying glass, or post the closest close-up of the window here. If gold or telluride, a bright gold color should be nearly instantly revealed, since gold is quite soft. If anything else, it may be difficult to file any window. In either case, post the results.
I got some replies in the rocks/gems section
Check them out...
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread