frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is VERY possible.
It has the look of some Arizona meteorites I have hunted for years.
Photos can be extremely hard to be sure.
If you have access to a rocksaw or someone has a tile saw slice it and post the pics.
I believe when you slice it it will show alot of reflective pieces of nickel shining as you rotate it in the light.

Attachments

• SANY1161.JPG
    SANY1161.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 455

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I don't think so, but that's just my opinion.

Here's an easy way to do an approximate weight: how many modern (Washington or state) quarters does it take to equal the weight of your stone? Washington quarters weigh 5.67 grams, and are made of copper and nickel. By holding your rock in one hand, and a number of quarters in the other, you should be able to guess an approximate weight to your stone.

If possible, could you also post a photo of your stone with a quarter on edge? That should give a good comparison to what mass it has.

frank

Sep 4, 2004
N.W. Arizona
Detector(s) used
ML 3500,Whites GMT,Gold Bug I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a weight PUT IT ON A SCALE.

OP
OP
J

JamieF

Mar 25, 2011
Thanks for the info and the opinions! :icon_thumright: I tried using a postal scale to weigh the rock, but it doesn't register on the scale I own. I improvised a balance scale, using a pencil and a ruler. It takes approx 2 1/2 quarters to balance against the weight of the rock. As for it's mass, it is pyramid shaped. In the three photos above, I tried to show all sides. It is as tall as it is long (hope that helps you visualize it.) The brown spots appear to be rust. They are like little iron nodes sticking out of the rock. One side has black crusty areas (see middle photo). It sticks solidly to a kitchen magnet.

Like I said, I found it buried in a grass parking area out in the country. There is a gravel road about 20 feet from where I found it. This makes me wonder if it was hauled in, in a load of gravel.. or (if it is a meteorite) if it fell to earth in that spot. I've hit the whole area pretty hard with my detector and not seen anything else like it. I will try to find someone with a saw to cut it. I will also try to find a scale that will weigh it.

Once more, thanks for any info. This forum is great and you guys are the best. :icon_thumright:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
A modern American quarter weighs 5.67 grams, so 2.5 times that would be 14.175 grams (approximately). I don't think that's going to be enough to make a iron-nickel meteorite, but it might be enough for a chondrite.

Next, need to file a window using a carbon-steel file in some out-of-the-way place. Show the results of the filed area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions