Possible meteorite find Ireland

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You need a good magnet as those flat fridge magnets won't work.At least a speaker magnet ,prefer a super magner or rare earth.Streak test will not work on a old meteorite as the iron oxide is going to leave a red streak.

OP
OP
J

jonnyc

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A magnet will not be attracted to an achondrite meteorite, although I have a small piece that does attract a magnet, although a somewhat weak attraction, all other pieces including the ones in the photo do not attract a magnet.
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to explain to me the following - What other terrestrial geological processes will result in the formation of thumbprint indentations & flow lines, like the markings which are clearly visible in the large piece.

A geologist here in Ireland confirmed to me that the large piece was mudstone (he came to that conclusion through analysis of a photograph). I informed him that that was not possible as the density does not fall in the range of mudstone or any sedimentary rock, sedimentary rock should be in the range of 2-3g/cm3, where these rocks, (3 pieces in the 4th photo) have a density of 3.6g/cm3. He replied that it was then more than likely siderite nodule.

Siderite nodule anyone?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jonnyc

May 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread