possible iron meteorite - density around 8g/ml

denman

May 21, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

I found this rock while digging in a backyard.Sticks to a magnet and doesnt leave any streak.I did home density testing and got a roughly around 8g/ml.(rock is 800g and volume is around 100ml).
Let me know what do you think. IMG_3818.JPG

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
I would suggest that you take an angle grinder to one of the exposed projections on it, just grind off a flat dime shaped section and observe the sparks that come off of it (this may give you some information later as to the make up of the 'rock' as different types of iron give different spark patterns ) look at the polished surface you have exposed and take a picture of it to repost. Also research what a surfaced meteorite should look like, versus a rock. Someone on this site should be able to guide you if you post a good enough picture of the surface, but it is best to look though some form of magnification.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I would suggest that you take an angle grinder to one of the exposed projections on it, just grind off a flat dime shaped section and observe the sparks that come off of it (this may give you some information later as to the make up of the 'rock' as different types of iron give different spark patterns ) look at the polished surface you have exposed and take a picture of it to repost. Also research what a surfaced meteorite should look like, versus a rock. Someone on this site should be able to guide you if you post a good enough picture of the surface, but it is best to look though some form of magnification.

Interesting you mention spark test. That might be a good test for many rocks posted here. In my shop I have pictures of how different alloys of iron spark. If some are interested wikipedia has pictures and explanations of just how different alloys will spark. Meteorites are stainless steel so sparks should be unique in shape and color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread