Possible (meteorite found after witnessed fall)

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright this is my first time on this site. The reason I am posting is because when I was younger I witnessed a fall of a "meteorite" literally right down the block from my house it came down lower then the power lines and landed. I decided to look KNOWING it landed there. This was the only rock I found. I messaged the museum of Natural History and they said It could be a meteorite but could also be magnetite. The only thing is. They say that Magnetite streaks black or streaks and this doesn't leave any streak marks at all of any color. It is metallic. After using Hydrolic acid I managed to get a nickel reading on it. After 4 separate tries and a file to get into the object. I know something fell in the area and by the SIZE of what I saw fall this matches it. Almost certainly. I attached a photo of it. It's strange. Its SO similar to Magnetite (meteor wrongs) but yet so different at the same time. I also attached a photo of a magnetite rock to show how similar it is. Can't say for sure. but I can say it certainly doesn't streak like a magnetite would. The black is the uncleaned area. Unlike the fake the one I believe is from what I saw fall. Has an odd what looks like what I would call a tumor coming out of it. Just strange. Basically i'm dealing with some saying. it's a meteorite, It could be a meteorite some saying it isn't a meteorite. all I know is one did fall in that area and I searched the WHOLE site.

Attachments

• Possible meteorite surface.jpg
    Possible meteorite surface.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 233
  • window 3 surface.jpg
    window 3 surface.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Fake meteor.jpg
    Fake meteor.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I for one would like to hear the story of what you saw and heard.
Sounds like a cool experience.

OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know how a car hits on the breaks really fast and it can't stop thats exactly how it looked like. IF you take the sun and you crush it into the size of a pool ball or a baseball and chucked it really fast downward at a 51 degree angle at extreme speeds. it was weird it just looked like a intense light with a streak behind it. I didn't hear anything. No sounds not a bang, not a sound at all. I just saw it. I was a block away. It was strange it was going crazy fast then when it reached the power line and got lower it appeared to slow down and the glow got bright then lower then it vanished. Then a few days later I found that. It happened really fast hard to forget that night though.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what drew your attention to it?
how far away was it when you first saw it?
how deep was it in the earth?

OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it actually on the sidewalk it didn't land in the grass. IF it had I don't think I ever would have found it at all. It was a long time ago. it wasn't buried under the ground I am certain of that though I am certain it didn't land in the grass.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I never really thought of made me look up. I don't really think I heard anything but it was pretty obvious how bright it was.

OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickel test result and surface with original before cleaned. Here are photo's of the nickel result test surface and how it was originally found.

Attachments

• Possible meteor.jpg
    Possible meteor.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 204
  • Possbile meteor 2.jpg
    Possbile meteor 2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Nickel test.jpg
    Nickel test.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 155
  • Surface 1.jpg
    Surface 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Original surface.jpg
    Original surface.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 160

MaroonedInOhio

Tenderfoot
Dec 1, 2014
Barberton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!! I have a meteorite given to me by my cousin and sent a pic tho the "Meteorite Men" who told me it was a meteor wrong by looks. It passed all the tests that I could do at home like the scratch test and it was highly magnetic. When I get a little time I will take it to the University of Akrons Department of Geology for their opinion on it. What is really strange is that it's almost a dead ringer for the shape of Ohio! LOL... Good Hunting!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
meteorites are magnetic are they not... try taking a mag to it and seeif it sticks

OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my second candidate for what I saw fall. Both don't leave leave a black streak and passed the nickel test. I just did another tile test scratched the tile for the OTHER stone Above again no black streak the streak was actually just like a scratch on the tile . They are magnetic. They certainly are. But I have one other rock this one that is almost 1000 times as metallic as this one which is also a candidate of what I saw fall. This is ANOTHER metallic rock I found that tested positive for nickel. . It is much more magnetic then the other one and can literally hang and spin on magnets. The other one is can be pulled not lifted. They are both magnetic. one just more so then the other. This is the other possible one. Much much much more magnetic attractive though both can attract magnets. the difference between the 2 is one can be pulled the other one above and this one can be lifted.

Attachments

• Magnetic rock or meteorite .jpg
    Magnetic rock or meteorite .jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Ny Rocky meteorite .jpg
    Ny Rocky meteorite .jpg
    67 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These 2 were found in different area's. The first rock I showed was the one from the location I saw the fall. It was not hot because I waited days so days to go out and collect it I know because I remember trying to figure out what it was and thinking for a few days before I decided to look It was a pretty long time ago I was much younger. When you see something that bright you know not to touch it and it can be dangerous. I am glad I didn't go out the same night I saw it looking. That could have turned out very bad. IT was late though and I didn't see anyone else out or around. So I'm pretty sure nobody else went looking for it. We live to close to a dead end to have much traffic down here. I found another few rocks in a different location that also tested positive for nickel. (the one I saw myself) that was only a single one. From what I saw. Idk what the others are. Here is a set of the others though. The museum mailed me and said these are likely not meteorites though. However I find it quite a disappointment how they can claim it's not without even examining it in person. I find it odd they are all sort of in the same direction broken. The three seen here are not from the same location They are a completely different and and were very recently found. They also tested positive for nickel. These three weren't found in the ground but were kinda stuck on the surface in it and I had to wiggle one out.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 148
  • ny meteor 2.jpg
    ny meteor 2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 10412033_910736402276320_5713789663304378627_n.jpg
    10412033_910736402276320_5713789663304378627_n.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the rock I am interested in however because the museum said it could be a meteorite that its possible and because it has the same cracking as the texture surface of this meteorite they (its copyrighted so I only took the surface photo.) Of these Cracks. The first I believe are from the TAZA meteorite from arizona. Because the cracks on the one I witnessed fall completely match the ones of this authentic one. With both it looks like the cracks come within the stone. Thats the most difficult part. They so different but yet so similar.

Attachments

• Crack 2 arizona.jpg
    Crack 2 arizona.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 545
  • Crack 1 (arizona).jpg
    Crack 1 (arizona).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Similar crack.jpg
    Similar crack.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Similar cracking.jpg
    Similar cracking.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
meteor.jpg (this is exactly what I saw it isn't my photo) only really close up and in color. The baseball sized with the flames behind it. bright orange red with almost a white orange in the center.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RockForum

Nov 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickel test 2 I drilled a small hole in it for another test and to check interior out and checked the hardness of it. tests positive for nickel but not large amounts.

Attachments

• Possible meteorite drill hole nickel test.jpg
    Possible meteorite drill hole nickel test.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Drilled.jpg
    Drilled.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread