CM150705-07050904.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 107

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Congratulations! You may have found an actual meterorite. Maybe. There are still things that need to be done to prove a meteorite.

First, your specimen is smallish, with numerous pockmarks (called regmaglympts if real). The glassy appearance of the surface in photo 3 is somewhat suspect, unless you have intentionally attempted to clean the stone. If you have tried cleaning the stone, the portions cleaned should be saved for future reference.

You need to make a "window" into the stone, then provide a photo as close as possible to the stone for analysis. If this is a real meteorite, getting a "window" is going to take a lapidary saw. It is important to place the "window" where it will be the least noticeable, but provide a view of the exterior and the interior of the stone. The "window" should be at least 1 cm square, if possible. If real, the "window" should show a fusion crust 1/8" thick or so, plus a mostly iron interior which should have Widmanstatten diagrams on the cut surface. These diagrams can be etched with acid later for further proof.

Then post the photo here for further analysis.

All I can state at this point is your stone looks promising. Private message me for further discussion.

OP
OP
O

oldmillman

Greenie
Jul 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations! You may have found an actual meterorite. Maybe. There are still things that need to be done to prove a meteorite.

First, your specimen is smallish, with numerous pockmarks (called regmaglympts if real). The glassy appearance of the surface in photo 3 is somewhat suspect, unless you have intentionally attempted to clean the stone. If you have tried cleaning the stone, the portions cleaned should be saved for future reference.

You need to make a "window" into the stone, then provide a photo as close as possible to the stone for analysis. If this is a real meteorite, getting a "window" is going to take a lapidary saw. It is important to place the "window" where it will be the least noticeable, but provide a view of the exterior and the interior of the stone. The "window" should be at least 1 cm square, if possible. If real, the "window" should show a fusion crust 1/8" thick or so, plus a mostly iron interior which should have Widmanstatten diagrams on the cut surface. These diagrams can be etched with acid later for further proof.

Then post the photo here for further analysis.

All I can state at this point is your stone looks promising. Private message me for further discussion.
Wow,thanks for the detailed response,the 3 rd pic was taken wet,I was trying to show the shade of it.The window you are talking about seems complicated, or is it just a cut? I will have to figure out how to do that,I do have a small 5" tile saw,will that work?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure a tile saw will work with a diamond blade and water. It's easy The etching process is a tad more complicated. There is probably a Youtube out there. You might not need to etch to know if it's real.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say YES.... but as a layman, test it. (congrats to you!) TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread